Hello and first report, and then some more...

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Hello and first report, and then some more...

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I just started out, my first trip was yesterday on the South Platte in Colorado - and I loved it. The below is what I posted on anthother Tenkara Forum I am a member. Thanks for having me here!

Yesterday, I headed up to "my" stretch on the South Platte below Deckers; once setup on the river (I fished all day with a no 4 level line from Chris), I started with my usual nymph rig, a 18 beadhead and 20 RS2. The river was a off-color from a tributary creek that was hit hard by a thunderstorm, but visibility was getting better.

I had initially some adjustment problems with the casting but soon got over them and casting became as if I were doing it for years. My first hook-up was a very nice rainbow that rolled on my RS2 just after my cast. Now, I have done a lot of reading but I wasn't really prepared for as to how to land the trout, especially since it was pushing 18" - I didn't even know there were fish that big in this section of river. After a while I was able to lead it into slower water and grabbed the line when it got off. Classic Long Distance Release and I was shaken!

I continued fishing and changed flies, ending up with some sort of a hopper with a scud and later a RS2 again as a dropper. On the far side of the river, across some faster water was a some slow and shallower water tucked against a rock wall. I cast and immediately a nice brown hit the hopper and shortly after I landed her. My first trout with Tenkara gear! I made a quick pic and off she went. I continued fishing and being rewarded with some more rainbows, browns and a cuttbow.

Today was a very rewarding day, I was able to reach and fish water almost drag free which I wasn't able to fish well before. I "almost" didn't miss the reel (first rainbow would have been easier to play with a reel). Only downside today was that I lost my net and didn't notice until I was fishing a different section of the river.

Although I probably will not switch for good to Tenkara, I can see where this form of fishing has it's place in my fishing arsenal. In September, my wife is sending me 'away' for a weekend and I will head up to Rocky Mountain National Park to fish some of the creeks with my Iwana!
Last edited by goneflyfishing on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Re: Hello and first report

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for the post. Any pics you can show us?

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm

You asked, here they are. This is halfway down between Deckers and Strontia on the South Platte. My first 'landed' trout on Tenkara and scenery.
Attachments
SP 8 1 2010-4-1.jpg
SP 8 1 2010-4-1.jpg (241.43 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
SP 8 1 2010-1-1.jpg
SP 8 1 2010-1-1.jpg (219.92 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
First Tenkara Trout - SP 8 1 2010-1.jpg
First Tenkara Trout - SP 8 1 2010-1.jpg (223.33 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Very awesome!

Tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you had a great trip.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Andrew McKenna » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:18 am

Nice report and yet another awesome stretch of water...just beautiful setting.
Andrew McKenna

Postby goneflyfishing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Thank you. I am very fortunate for being able to move from the NY area to Colorado taking my job with me. The quality of life is so much better out here in the West - not just fishing-wise.
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Was out this and last Sunday on Bear Creek on the Front Range and took some pix of the river and my Iwana setup while spot hopping.

This is my Iwana 12ft setup with Chris' hi-vis level line with Fuji hook keepers (love it!)
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Re: Hello and first report and then some more

Postby goneflyfishing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Headed up to Estes Park with the family to enjoy Rocky Mountain National Park. Fishing was a somewhere wayyy down on the list but still on the list. Got to the Motel by sundown, it was almost dark. Realized that the Fall River is flowing right through the property, so I whipped out my Iwana and started flipping some balloon caddis. Got the first little brown just as it was almost too dark to see anything:

My little girl was a great helper with her pink rod.

Saturday we did some hiking around Bear Lake and Sprague Lake - easy hikes for my little girl that will turn 3 next month. Some pix:

Bear Lake

Sprague Lake

Me and my girl pretending to fish:

Checking out that creek, bad habits don't die.

Sunday, little trip to Endo Valley, Roaring River and then home.

Endo Valley

Fall River in Endo Valley/Horseshoe - hooked one nice 13" brown with beautiful colors on a black Charlie Boy hopper size 14. No pic of the trout unfortunately.

Next trip to Rocky Mountain National Park mid-September is lined up. This time just me and hopefully some Greenback Cutthroat.
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Return to Your Tenkara Experience