A terrific trip to Colorado

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

A terrific trip to Colorado

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 pm

I just returned from a terrific trip to Colorado, where I had the pleasure and privilege of fishing with the great John Gierach and Ed Engle. I wrote about some of the trip on our blog: http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog. It was really terrific.

In addition I spent a couple of days fishing Boulder Creek, a truly tenkara-perfect stream and then pursuing some gorgeous Greenback Cutthroats in the Rocky Mountain National Park. I caught my fair share of them, and release them all safely after taking pictures in my tenkara net (another reason to love these nets).

Besides the blog pictures, here are a few more:
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yYws_KQ0QUo/TGNpUS6xybI/AAAAAAAAGjg/HUbW4_z5HB8/s512/P8090037.JPG
[/img]

I got caught on a couple of short-lived storms while fishing, right by the stream I found a boulder with space below it and a bit of a nice log-jam above. I threw a bunch of additional pieces of wood on top for a nice shelter. Could probably have spent the night if needed, but luckily it was just a bit over a mile away from my car:

Yes, tenkara-perfect too:

Every now and then the net was not necessary and I managed a shot before the fish swam away:

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: A terrific trip to Colorado

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:53 am

I enjoyed this post . It brought back memories of fishing trips in CO in my pre-tenkara days.... and the net makes a lovely frame for a quick pre-release fish portrait.
I imagine that John and Ed took to tenkara like ducks to water. Their books describe their joy on small steams... they just needed somebody to hand them a tenkara rod. Can't see either of them giving up their bamboo for good though.
Thank you.
Stephen McGowen

Postby rsetina » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:19 am

Looks like a wonderful trip as usual Daniel. I need to expand my fishing horizon. Colorado is beautiful and your portraits do it justice. I agree that the net is a great way to frame the fish.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby anders » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am

Beautiful pictures and a very nice post, Daniel. Thank you.
On occasion I encounter Mr. Gierach while on the St. Vrain, and I had been wondering how to explain to him my not fishing my bamboo rod. Now I am looking forward to our next encounter, my Ebisu in hand! Also, can't wait to read his take on tenkara.
anders

Postby CreationBear » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 am

Great trip report--I think the Big T as it runs through Moraine Park in the RMNP is probably the most "Tenkara-ready" stream I've ever seen. (BTW, I hope you do make a habit of peeking into your emergency lean-to's: no telling who's also at home. :) )
CreationBear

Postby wrknapp » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 am

I'm envious. Great trip and great report, blog, and pictures. This should make tenkara more credible to the diehard skeptics. Thanks.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby daryl martens » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:41 am

I very much enjoy John Gierach's writings, Ed Engle is a master short line nympher..... what a privilege it would be to fish with these guys.
daryl martens

Postby Hoshnasi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Some great pictures there. I really liked your storm hideout.
Hoshnasi

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Daniel, awesome report from "almost" my backyard.

I have been living for 2 years in the Denver area but still haven't managed to get to RMNP to fish. This is changing soon, i have fixed plans to do so mid-September with a buddy and camp in Morraine Park. I might send you a PM to 'pick your brain' for any tips.

Tight lines!
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Berner9 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Looks like you had an awesome trip Daniel. Thanks for sharing.

Ill be out there for the next two weeks starting this Saturday. Im bringing my tenkara rods but haven't really done any homework on where to go. I will be in the Aspen/Snowmass area hiking Four loop pass(around Maroon Bells) I know there are some river crossing and would love to try fishing them if there are fish. I just need to do my homework. I will also be down in the San Juan Mt range climbing 14ers and then also back up around the front range climbing 14ers(summit county area). If any one is familar with any of these areas I would love to hear from you. A PM would be awesome. Also if you would like to meet up and go I would be down for that. Im pretty flexible. the last week of Aug.
Berner9

Return to Your Tenkara Experience