A full day in Utah

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

A full day in Utah

Postby erik.ostrander » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:06 pm

I had this Friday off, and I decided to make the most of it.

One of my favorite peaks in the Wasatch range of Utah is Mt. Olympus. I like it because it is steep and sweet. The north face is a giant quartzite slab, and the west face has a 12 pitch (1200 ft) 5.5 technical rock climb.

The day began a little later than usual - 7 am as opposed to 6. Quickly my friend and I were making progress, and had ascended to the final coulior.

With the coulior done it was time to look down at the great view

The standing around couldn't take long as we had 1200 feet of 5.5 to solo above us.

Once the ridge was gained we had to continue to the summit.

But...on our way to the summit we had to take a couple steps back when my climbing partner almost stepped on a rattlesnake.
Two to be exact. Look to be two different species, dunno why they are hanging out with each other.

This was an interesting rock:

and some interesting lichen:

At the summit there was an ant battle going on - red against black

The descent down was fairly uneventful, and 6 hrs after starting we were back to the beginning - 5,000 ft in elevation change over the day with most of it technical climbing or scrambling.

Lunch was next, followed by a quick dip in the local river. This is where the best part of the day was - the icing on top it you will...

I've climbed up the canyon where this Little creek flows for years, but have always heard that mining had polluted the stream and killed the trout population. I think someone forgot to tell the trout that story.

The spots on this rainbow were absolutely amazing!

I also discovered that there is a native, sustainable cutthroat population. I love catching native trout, there's just something very satisfying about it.

There is also a third species of trout in this river, Brook trout with beautiful blue circles around his red dots.

I love this canyon!

This day was one of the better days I've had in a long time. Two of my favorite past times - climbing and tenkara style fishing all wrapped up in an 11 hour package. I'll have to do this more often.
erik.ostrander

Re: A full day in Utah

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:36 pm

This has to be one of the best trips I've read about in some time. Looks loke it was a fun trip.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby wrknapp » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Stunning! Thanks. Great photos.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby erik.ostrander » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:49 pm

rsetina wrote:This has to be one of the best trips I've read about in some time. Looks loke it was a fun trip.

Thanks! The best part of the trip is that it's all within about 20-25 minutes of my house - and I live downtown.
erik.ostrander

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Oh, Man! I live downtown, and after 25 minutes, I'm still in town!
CM_Stewart

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:53 am

CM_Stewart wrote:Oh, Man! I live downtown, and after 25 minutes, I'm still in town!

Whine, whine, whine! Move to them mountains, Chris. To quote Del Gue in one of the best cinematic creations ever, Jeremiah Johnson, "Mother Gue, I says the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right."

Thanks for entertaining writing and some very enjoyable photos, Erik. And with a name like yours, looks like you're a long way from the fjords, bubba. :shock:
rvrgzr

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 am

rvrgzr, much as I hate to say it, I moved FROM them mountains. I grew up and learned to fly fish in Colorado. I could move back in a second, but I think I'd rather stay married.
CM_Stewart

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:34 am

CM_Stewart wrote:rvrgzr, much as I hate to say it, I moved FROM them mountains. I grew up and learned to fly fish in Colorado. I could move back in a second, but I think I'd rather stay married.
>>

And I grew up flyfishing in south Florida; I was a mile from the ocean and less than that from a large freshwater lake. I now live in North Carolina....The things we do for love. :roll:
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience