Brook Trout in the Allegheny National Forest

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Brook Trout in the Allegheny National Forest

Postby dtgbuettner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:46 am

This was my first small stream experience (as oppossed to my first overall experience on Presque Isle Bay). I took my 12' Iwana to the Allegheny National Forest for some native brook trout fishing. There are many small brooks and streams (many only 6 or 8 feet wide) which traverse through the low spots that hold native brook trout between 4" and 9" at the largest. In the summer, they rarely are fished because the foliage is very, very thick and makes it difficult to do any kind of overhead casting, or any casting, at all (I maybe overhead casted two dozen times over the course of 4 hours). I bow and arrow casted probably 50% of the time. Once again, my Iwana performed better than any flyrod I've taken to the forest in the past.

On a funny note, I talked to my dad who is a longtime fly fisherman before going up and showed him my Iwana. His first words were: "That rod is way to long. You will probably break it. And what happens if you get a snag?" and "x" and "x" and "x." Well, one afternoon of fishing and 16 native brook trout later, I'd his put his skepticism to rest. It was a great afternoon and I plan on making more trips to the forest soon.

Here are a few photos from one of the tiny brooks I fished. Sorry if they are small or come out grainy. My camera isn't the best. The fish on the rock is about 7" and the one on the moss is about 8 or 9". The middle picture is to show the foliage situation.
Attachments
mail7.jpg
mail7.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
mail6.jpg
mail6.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
mail4.jpg
mail4.jpg (8.84 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
dtgbuettner

Re: Brook Trout in the Allegheny National Forest

Postby sholgate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Been there before, never with a Tenkara, but love it. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.

PS - Good to have another PA Boy on the forum.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby sholgate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:08 pm

On a side note. I will be on the Young Womens Creek this weekend.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby 257ROBT » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Looks like a great time. I am ordering my first Tenkara rod tomorrow; the 12' Iwana model as well. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby dtgbuettner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks Steven and Dale for replying to my post. Steven, it's good to see another PA angler on the site also. Perhaps we will run into each other on the water someday :) . Dale, the 12' Iwana has been a great rod. I've used it now on small stream and open water and it has performed excellent in both. To note, I typically use the traditional line b/c the fly I use can be used both dry and wet, but it seems to throw 4.5 level line without any difficulty.

Thanks again,

Douglas Buettner
Erie, PA
dtgbuettner

Return to Your Tenkara Experience