Warm water Tenkara fishing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: Warm water Tenkara fishing

Postby jeffkreager » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:08 pm

rvrgzr,

That is one huge gill you have there. I love my Yamame for gills.

Would you be so kind to reveal your tippet length/weight.
jeffkreager

Postby rvrgzr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:21 pm

6 ft of 5x. If I'm using a dropper setup, I will make the dropper fly 6x.
rvrgzr

Postby BigCliff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm

dwgalhardo wrote:Hi Mundele,
Maybe a biased comment (I'm the company's founder). But, all rods we carry, including the heavier Yamame rod, will be fine for small streams, they are all tenkara rods and stay true to the small stream tenkara tradition. With that being said, they are all different enough (with the exception of the Ayu and Ebisu which are relatively similar in feel) that sensations and experiences will be different and may warrant owning two different ones. I'd honestly say that owning an Yamame and an Iwana will enhance the experience when fishing the different waters. The Yamame has more backbone to it, the Iwana has more flex and less weight and will bend more when catching the small brookies. Maybe start with the Yamame, and once you feel comfortable with tenkara, go for the Iwana for the smaller streams. I'll let others weigh in though....

I concur that the Yamame will work just fine for bass up to 3# or so, and is a great way to get started. My Tex-kara thread seems to have fallen off the front page of this section, but it gives my take on Tenkara fishing in warmwaters.
BigCliff

Postby rsetina » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm

rvrgzr wrote:6 ft of 5x. If I'm using a dropper setup, I will make the dropper fly 6x.

That's it? Just 6 feet of 5X? I assume you're fishing from the shoreline then. It just doesn't seem like enough line to me. Interesting.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 am

rsetina wrote:
rvrgzr wrote:6 ft of 5x. If I'm using a dropper setup, I will make the dropper fly 6x.

That's it? Just 6 feet of 5X? I assume you're fishing from the shoreline then. It just doesn't seem like enough line to me. Interesting.

The 6' of tippet is attached to the 12' braided line. Sometimes I fish from the shoreline, sometimes I wade, and sometimes I fish from my kayak.
rvrgzr

Postby jeffkreager » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Rvrgzr,

I hate to be a pain with detailed questions but I'm really interested in knowing your landing techniques with 18 feet of line. Do you net your fish, handline, both?

Plus, I love my kayak. Any special landing techniques from your kayak.

Thank you in advance.
jeffkreager

Postby rvrgzr » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Jeff, a long-handled net is useful when fishing both from shore or a kayak, I've found. It prevents completely wearing out a fish, which often happens when it's necessary to hand line or handle a fish to remove a hook. I know there are those who believe it's better to not use a net, but that has not been my experience.
rvrgzr

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 pm

rvrgzr,

One of your pictures show what looks like a double hook up. Did you get a double hook up on your Tenkara rod? That would be awesome a a bit scary at the same time. How far is your dropper from the hopper and does the total length add up to the 6 feet of tippet?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:35 am

A double hook-up usually results in two fish trying to swim in opposite directions, so the fight isn't as much as you'd think it would be. Once again, the net, because lifting 2 fish up by the line is sure to pop something.

The amount of leader/tippet varies with water conditions and type of fish targeted. There are times when I'll use only a couple of feet of tippet when fishing murky water--for bass and bluegill-- and six feet or more when fishing very clear water--usually trout. And in shallow water, 12 to 18 inches works for the dropper. In deeper water, I've gone as far as 3 feet from the dry fly/popper to the nymph/dropper. However, the longer the dropper line, the more difficult it is to cast effectively.

Do what works. We all have different expectations for using our Tenkara rods, and I'm often tweaking things while fishing. You and I standing side-by-side in a stream may both catch fish while using different: tippet lengths, dropper lengths, flies, etc. Experiment until you find a rig that works for you.

And feel free for join the campaign for TXTR (Three X (tippet) Tenkara Rod. I wonder if printing up t-shirts and caps emblazoned with TXTR would help? I've called Oprah and Bill to get on their shows. So far, no response....Maybe they didn't get my calls.... :lol:
rvrgzr

Postby wrknapp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:45 pm

I received my AYU 13' Tenkara rod yesterday and am thrilled. Today, I went to a lake near my kids house in Port Orchard, WA and landed 26 bluegill in about 3 hours in my first Tenkara fishing experience. I used the standard 10 1/2' furled Tenkara fly line (white water version) and 4' of Tenkara 5x 4.9lb test leader alternated with 4' of 3x 5lb Maxima Ultragreen tippet. I use a short piece of Maxima Chameleon 2x 6lb tippet between my tippet and the fly line. I just tied a perfection loop to each end so my tippet is looped to one end and the furled fly line to the other. I was using a small white foam rubber legged spider I tied onto a size 10 2x long hook.

I quickly learned to cast the full line extended though I'm not sure I can describe the technique yet; though I used modified spey casts, loop casts, and side arm casts effectively. Some times I found sort of extending my arm forward with the cast so that the rod tip was pointing straight out as an extention of my outstretched arm with both my arm wrist and rod parallel to the water allowed the foam popper to turn over perfectly fully extending the leader giving me about 30' of cast. I found that having a full four feet of tippet or more helped my casting effectiveness.

I had no problem with hookups as long as I allowed the fish to completely start swimming off with the fly before I lifted the rod to set the hook.

I am 63 years old and have been fishing since childhood (cane pole and worm or minnow) and fly fishing almost exclusively since 1991.

I think the 13' length and 5.5 action of my AYU are a great combo, and I don't think I'll have any problem landing bigger fish. I can envision having a shorter rod for small brushy streams (perhaps even a 9 footer).

I fish for everything including big saltwater fish and steelhead and carp so I doubt I'll fish Tenkara style exclusively but so far I am thrilled. I will try stream fishing and lake fishing for trout next week when my wife and I head back to our home in Warm Springs, VA via a five or six day stopover in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Randy
wrknapp

PreviousNext

Return to Your Tenkara Experience