Netting....Or Lack Of It

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Netting....Or Lack Of It

Postby John_6 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 am

Help, I need some tips on getting fish into the net. I have no problem getting the normal 10 to 12 inchers netted or landed for that matter. My problem comes when I get a bigger fish on, especially in fast water. I use a Sato or Iwana with a 12 foot line and about a 30 inch tippit.

Because of my inability to get the fish netted quickly I sometimes break off the fly, over tire the fish or have an early release. I do not care about the missed fish but I am concerned about the loss of fly and the stress on the fish.

Any Tips?
John_6

Re: Netting....Or Lack Of It

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 am

Hi John. A lot of T-anglers are overly concerned with casting distance, mostly because of their exposure to spin and Western fly fishing, so they gravitate toward using long to even longer Tenkara lines. The problem with longer lines is that it complicates the landing and netting of fish greatly, as you have found out for yourself.

I fish some really tight, small streams, so I carry a selection of Level Fluorocarbon lines starting out at 5 feet, then 7, 9, 11 and 13 feet, which does not include the girth hitch to Lilian joining loop and the tippet, so that you can present flies to the opposite stream bank on the width of the stream you are fishing. With multiple-length rods, like the Soto, a line a foot shorter than the middle rod length seems to work out well for all the rod length settings being fished. Although this requires developing your stealth skills, casting distance is taken care of by simply moving your body closer to your casting targets. Using shorter lines will increase your casting accuracy, make Bow-And-Arrow-Casts much easier to do, and get you much better drifts as well as making the fish much easier to land, whether you use a net or not. So, Please give the shorter lines a try and see if they do not make your Tenkara fishing life a lot easier. Tight Lines....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Return to Your Tenkara Experience