The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Re: The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Postby Hunt4lyf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Another weekend, another trip, this time to Boulder to meet Daniel G. at a clinic he put on at Rocky Mtn Anglers. He discussed the many aspects of Tenkara, showed how he ties his flies and gave a casting demo. There were numerous people there that were brand new to the concept of Tenkara and the ones I talked with were really interested in getting started.

After the demo there was a BBQ and we were all talking around a table when I pulled Vagabox out of my pocket and was showing it to the folks seated around me when Daniel looked over and recognized it and showed it off to everyone else, describing what it is and what his plans are for it in the months ahead.

About 1 pm, with the bbq done and everyone headed their own ways I decided to hit Boulder Creek for a bit since I was so close. It was a totally new area for me as I had never even seen the creek let alone fished it and even during the sun and warmth of mid day I was able to pull 7 browns out of it pretty easily using killer bugs. I lost one fly from Vagabox but was getting snagged enough that I started using my own flies since I'm paranoid to loose to many of the awesome flies housed by it which turned out to be a good thing since I ended up loosing three more of my own flies.

I think the best part of the fishing was when I watched a couple of western guys fish one particular snag for 15 minutes and catch nothing and after they'd left I hit the exact same spot and pulled out a German in my second cast and another 4 followed within 10 minutes.

4 from this spot

Untitled by Hunt4lyf, on Flickr

1 from here but this was tough since the current was rushing so fast

Beautiful pockets abounded

And a couple fish

I took my wife and daughter out today to Rampart Res but the fish weren't having it, my 2 1/2 year old was the only one to get a hit but Dad was to slow to help her set the hook. Only thing I caught was a speeding ticket on a dirt road from a National Forest Officer :(

We shall see what the days ahead hold for Vagabox...
Hunt4lyf

Postby Robert Olson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Vagabox has stalled in California. I am getting no response from the next 3 people on the list. Archknits has been removed from the list. I have some one in mind for his spot.

Bob
Last edited by Robert Olson on Mon May 18, 2015 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Olson

Postby Robert Olson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm

ALL FUTURE VAGABOX HOSTS

Keep up with your spot on the list (page 29). If you don't respond, you will be skipped and removed. Lets keep Vagabox moving - several people are waiting!

Bob
Last edited by Robert Olson on Mon May 18, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Olson

Postby Robert Olson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 am

Ok. Archknits is back. No response from Serioussam2115, so Archknits will get his place.

Bob
Robert Olson

Postby Archknits » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 am

Robert
While it is nice to have someone sort of directing things, it may be a good time to cool it down a bit. I got a message on July 26th with "Reply now!" as the basic message. I replied on my next day in the office, July 28th, and found out I missed my spot. I for one don't have time to sit an read the message board every day, so private messages are great, but a little politeness or notice goes a long way.

Just a thought
Archknits

Postby Robert Olson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 am

Archknits,

When you visit the forum only once in 6 weeks, it's hard to know how long to wait.

Bob
Robert Olson

Postby Hunt4lyf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 am

I've sent Adam a PM to see if I can send it out to him today so we stay on a 2 week schedule. I'll post up when I ship it out.
Hunt4lyf

Postby Robert Olson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks, Hunt4lyf.

Bob
Robert Olson

Postby Archknits » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Bob
I only log in when I need to post. It does take me a while to get around to this site, I would rather be fishing, and sometimes I have to go to my job. Less than 2 days for an email, on a weekend, during the summer, isn't long at all.
Robert Olson wrote:Archknits,

When you visit the forum only once in 6 weeks, it's hard to know how long to wait.

Bob
Archknits

Postby troutrageous1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm

It's all good guys, the Vagabox abides...
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Flies