What's The BIGGEST FISH you've Seen Landed On a Tenkara Rod

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

What's The BIGGEST FISH you've Seen Landed On a Tenkara Rod

Postby tenkaraguru » Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 pm

We all like to believe that Tenkara rods are for smaller fish ...
but every now and then, there's that lunker hanging out under a rock,
or a wary old trout that's been in that creek foever ...

As fisherman, we can't be discriminating at what fish decides to
take our fly ......

What's the BIGGEST FISH you've seen landed on a Tenkara Rod ...

Tell your fish story here ... We're all Ears !
tenkaraguru

Re: What's The BIGGEST FISH you've Seen Landed On a Tenkara

Postby narcodog » Sun May 06, 2012 6:54 am

Well, I guess the largest I have seen is a a 24in Bow from the Madison I landed last year. I have also landed about three others larger than 20 ins.
narcodog

Postby tsegelke » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am

I think the more interesting question here would be what is the largest fish for the rod used.

I have a good history of Western Rod fishing, and understand that catching a 12 inch fish on a 2 weight is nothing like catching the same fish on the more common 5 to 7 weight.

I would like to know what the Iwana has handled, the Ito, the Amago etc. This will also greatly help me in choosing my next rods.

Currently I own only an Iwana 12 foot, and have loved catching up to 12" Fish. When fall approaches, I typically midge fish for trophies, and would like to try a new Tenkara Rod. I do not want to go back to western rods, but am not sure they can handle the fight.

I have a variety of water to fish from huge water, to very small creeks, and would love to get all inputs.
tsegelke

Postby Anthony » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

I haven't fished a lot of big fish water with my tenkara rods - but I did take them to Alaska and landed a rainbow of about 19" or so on my Ebisu 5:5 on the Karta river. It was amazingly easy to bring in.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby adventureR » Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 pm

24" Channel Cat on my Yamame rod, completely by accident. Thought I had a snag.

I was eating my lunch in the Kayak, rod held in between my toes. The wind pushing at my back, steering with my rudder back and forth side to side going down a creek. Twitched the rod with my foot every now and then. The creek is deep in a long straight stretchand riddled with huge stumps. Felt the line stop like I hit a stump. And once I gave a good pull on the snag, something pulled back. It only took a couple minutes to get him to the side of my boat. I had no net at the time. Nephew broke a couple nets weeks before. The fly was a size 16 nymph, hooked into only a few cells of skin on the mouth. Unhooked him and held firmly on the lower jaw while the fish held back. As I reached for my camera and fumbled to take the picture he had rested long enough and took off. The best part was I didn't think I could go wrong letting a weighted fly sink down and drift 12' down and miss catching something while I ate my lunch. And I was right.

I do believe there are larger fish that have been caught while fishing with a Tenkara rod. I only wish I had a picture to show. It will probably just go down as another fish story. But reinforced the Tenkara hook in me.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby statikpunk » Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 am

Largest I have seen has been 20" and girth like a horse, I caught him, but then again I have never fished with another tenkara fisherman :P Im gonna have to get out more.
IMAG0343 by statikpunk, on Flickr
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby Tenkara Guides » Tue May 08, 2012 3:08 pm

I caught an 18" rainbow in a small creek above Azuza CA last year on my 11' Iwana w/5x tippet on a furled line.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

There is one here in the forum that is 25" long, a fat rainbow and I'll look for it shortly.
But, just came across this beast on our Facebook page (24 inches, 5.5lbs):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4024089165374&set=p.4024089165374&type=1&theater
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby BCFinn » Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm

19" brown out of the Cowichan on Vancouver Island with an Ayu on first generation traditional line with a CDC&Elk hair caddis.

Nothing compared to the slab that Daniel just posted, but am still proud of it (just wish I had a camera on me that day...)
BCFinn

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 09, 2012 8:41 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff