Japanese Tenkara gear

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Japanese Tenkara gear

Postby roninroshi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I have deepened my understanding of this fly fishing method to a great extent since i joined,Thank you all for that...i was in Japan last March traveling w/my wife who is Japanese,we went to a village in the Kii Mtns named Totsukawa...we ate Iau and Yamamai while there...Iau is served whole "un-gutted"
roasted on a stick and Yamamai is served cleaned and fried gently...one eats the Iau completely bones and guts...
w/ice cold beer or good O'Sake...it is quite delicious...this area is famous for both species of fish...being a "rabid" fly fisherman since 1958 i decided to check out the local tackle shop,which was the local hardware/grocery/o'sake/fishing shop...the rods were quite costly and varied all were Tenkara style...but what i remember most vividly were the Tenkara nets..."the Japanese professor" in the video at the website has one...the mesh is very fine and the design is much different from that which we see in the west...have any of you gentlemen seen this type of Tenkara net in the US?
roninroshi

Re: Japanese Tenkara gear

Postby roninroshi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 pm

I misspelled Ayu in my previous post...here is a plate of them...
Attachments
ayu4_168.jpg
ayu4_168.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
roninroshi

Postby Slide » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:35 am

Do you have a picture of one?
Slide

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:54 am

There's a photo in the gallery of Dr. Ishigaki's net.
CM_Stewart

Postby Tenkara USA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:14 am

Here's a photo.
Note the elk horn used as handle. This is said to bring protection when fishing. It's a very common feature of tenkara nets (or the more expensive ones).

Also, in the topic of food, a few weeks ago when shooting our first film I learned of a traditional angler's drink. We had some fish on sticks cooked over the fire. After eating the fish we roasted the bones, and put it in a cup with warm sake. The drink is called "Kotsu zake"
Attachments
NY_0509_Tenkara 626.jpg
NY_0509_Tenkara 626.jpg (211.82 KiB) Viewed 6042 times
Tenkara USA

Postby Jerry in SC » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 pm

A very interesting net. Easy on the fish, I surmise?

I am sure going to try the Tenkara rod, line, and leader. Simple but effective.
Jerry in SC

Return to Your Tenkara Experience