Tenkara in the Upper North Fork - Matilija Creek

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara in the Upper North Fork - Matilija Creek

Postby sespe33 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:45 pm

First time out with Tenkara and my new Iwana rod. I had a blast catching/releasing 3 rainbows after having at least 20 hits while learning to set the hook with this rod. Sorry no pics this time. Presentation of the fly to fish is deadly with the Iwana rod.

My four suggestions/tips for the Iwana rod with its rated fish size:

1)Use 7x tippet for shallow clear creaks/streams where fish have a better view of food.
2)Use Delicate casts for maximum fly presentation.
3)Use very sharp hooks. Yes, add a final hone to dress brand new hooks, and hone them often after bouncing the flys off boulders and along the creek bottoms.
4)Keep a pair of garden hand pruners within reach to get your fly or tippet out of trees and bushes. You will save a lot of flys and tippet material, in addition to wear and tear on your tenkara rod, especially if you are new to fly fishing.

The fun factor with Tenkara fishing definitely makes it worth trying! The Iwana and Yamame rods, lines, tippet material, and flys I received are of very high quality. Most importantly, you will catch fish.
Last edited by sespe33 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sespe33

Re: Tenkara in the Upper North Fork - Matilija Creek

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:36 am

Nice! Good hearing you're enjoying it.

I also really like the idea of carrying some garden hand pruners, never thought of that, but looking back I would still have a nice fly box :) I have one that I bought from a $1 store, but never thought of taking it fishing.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jeffkreager » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 am

Welcome to the club Sespe33.

Glad to hear you've caught the fever.
jeffkreager

Postby rsetina » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Sespe33,

My sister lives in the Matilija Creek neck of the woods and we're planning a hike with her and her husband in the next few weeks. Well after my wife fractured bone heals in her foot. Good to here the fishing was good because I was wondering about the conditions. I'll be sure to get pruning shears. That's a great idea! Thanks!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby sespe33 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Daniel, Jeff, and Rsetina, Hello!
I have taken a short break from fishing after July 4th weekend. My wife and I headed up to California Sierras to do some fishing on the Kern river above Johnsondale bridge. That part of the trip turned out bad as the narrow rocky trail about 300ft above the river gave away. I was clutching a 9' western fly rod in one hand and my 12' Yamame rod in the other when a bush growing out the side of the vertical cliff broke my fall 10' down. It happened so quick, I ate some dirt, had some deep scrapes and cuts, but even worse my Sage Z Axis and Yamame rod suffer more. The Sage was damaged from the handle to tip and had to be sent in under warranty repair. The Yamame suffered some good scratches near the handle but I have not inspected it further since the fall to see if there was additional damge. I am still upset about it, as I have not yet fished the Yamame rod.

...Well that was several weeks ago, and I am now ready to go fish. :D (still afraid to give a second look at the Yamame)

Rsetina,

Not sure if you have already made your trip, but the Matilija Creek had some good fishing at the end of May. As the streams dry up in the summer around here you may find more water in the Sespe, another 15-20 miles up the road. Careful not to fish below the Matilija dam, the endangered steelhead are protected with very steep fines. Please report back on the fishing. Tight Lines!
Last edited by sespe33 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
sespe33

Postby jeffkreager » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Sespe33,

I fished the Sierras for 4 days and my Sage never left the rod tube and I beat my Yamame to death on trees and rocks. It appears to have taken my abuse quite well.

I guess after fly fishing for over 30 years I'm hooked on Tenkara.
jeffkreager

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:22 pm

The next trip I take will be strictly Tenkara fishing. I may not even bring my fly rods, though that might be a mistake in the event of a broken rod. I was so excited to fish it on the Forks of the Kern with my Ayu but the fish just weren't biting and my friend suggested I go with the fly rod. I shouldn't have listened even if it meant no fish. Next time I'll bring ear plugs. :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience