Northern California Trip

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Northern California Trip

Postby rsetina » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Sherry and I had so much fun fishing the waters we visited during the Tenkara Outing two weeks ago with some new friends, we decided to cancel our trip to Mammoth Lakes and revisit the same waters again last week. On the way up we had some concern about what conditions we'd find due to a very stiff head wind all the way up to the foothills of our destination. But wind wasn't much of a problem. The Ayu and Ebisu handled quite well the little wind we did encounter on the water.

It's amazing to both of us how much the conditions and weather can change in a week and a half. A couple of weeks ago it was sunny and warm with air temps in the mid 70's and water we could wet wade. Last weeks the air temps were in the mid 60's and the water was noticeably colder. I know. I took a small dip and scooped nearly half a gallon of water into my waders. Burr! It didn't stop me though. We had lunch to help me dry off a little and kept fishing.

Fishing was slow due to the water temps I guess. Sherry came home with zero fish though she did hook up 5 or 6 fish. I think she's having the hook set trouble some members on the board have mentioned. But time on the water will remedy that problem. I on the other hand caught 6 or 7 fish during the trip. Not even close to the numbers I caught two weeks ago, but I'm not there for numbers. I just love being on the water searching for treasure. We had a very relaxing time, spending some quality time together doing something we both love. Doesn't get better than that.

Our home away from home for a few days. It was small and cozy, but an aero bed on the futon and two big thick zip together sleeping bags made it very warm and comfortable. Only half of the building was ours so you can see how small it was.

Sherry working the water with her Ebisu on the first stream we fished on the day we arrived.

Me working the same stretch of water up stream from her. I think I caught a couple fish on this stream if my memory serves me correctly.

Sherry hooked a few fish in this spot but missed setting the hook. She gave me a big smile even though she didn't land them. I love watching her fish. She's so determined and never gives up. She may take a break one in a while to gather her thoughts but gets right back into fishing. I caught a couple of fish here the previous day, and 5 or 6 a few weeks ago. A very nice and productive spot.

This is pretty representative of the fish we caught all week. Small but feisty fish and all wild.

This is the same hole from the above picture of Sherry. You just can't help but fall in love with this beautiful place. The colors you see in the picture are very close to what you see with the naked eye. I just caught the edge of my finger in the picture shading the lens from the sun. Arrrrgh!

This next picture comes with a story all it's own. Every day while driving back to our cabin, I would see this tree. And every day I would see the colors of the sunset behind it, thinking how beautiful it was and how I'd love to get a nice photo of this tree with all the colors of the sunset behind it. It finally happened. It took three day to get it but I did. Thursday evening after dinner the conditions were perfect. The most clouds I'd seen for the past couple of days. So we drove up the road a short distance from the restaurant and I was in awe of the colors. I stood in the middle of a two lane 55 mph road to take this and 6 other photos. Not to worry, I had lots of time to get out of the way with Sherry as my lookout. Good thing she can't live without me. :lol:

Hope you enjoyed my story. Until next time we get a chance to share a day or two or three on the water, with you or without you, happy fishing! It would be more fun with you, by the way. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Northern California Trip

Postby wrknapp » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Looked like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Randy
wrknapp

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Oh, cool. Glad to hear you guys had a good time. The weather and water temps were different even some 3 days later, so I'm not surprise they would be even colder now. There was some snowfall the day after our outing.
What a BEAUTIFUL picture of that tree. Amazing how you captured all the colors in there. What camera did you use? Any post editing? It's really great.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:30 am

Thanks for the compliments. We discussed cameras in PMs and I looked at the ones you mentioned, but I already have a compact camera that takes nice pictures and I wanted something so I could have a little more flexibility with settings. I opted for the Nikon D3000. It came with a
18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens and I bought a 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 lens. It had a $100 instant rebate with the purchase of the D3000 so I couldn't pass that up. I couldn't spend the money it would cost for the 2.8 lens. Sherry would shoot me. :lol: I can always get a better lens later if I feel I need it. But this will do for now. I'm happy with the quality of the photos. I'm learning how to manage settings for depth of field photos to get blurred foregrounds and backgrounds. I'm enjoying playing with it.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Rick, I saw that tree!!!!

It was pretty clear when I was driving from the So. Fork of Tuolumne to my campground. Unfortunately I had a friend following me and it was a bit too dark, otherwise I'd have stopped and taken a picture of it for you.

Had a blast fishing the area this weekend. It is getting much colder (low of 30), but we still had success with dries and sakasa kebari.
Attachments
Tuolumne_Nov09 172.jpg
Margaret fishing, So Fork of Tuolumne
Tuolumne_Nov09 172.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Tuolumne_Nov09 286b.jpg
Fighting a 14"
Tuolumne_Nov09 286b.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Tuolumne_Nov09 289.jpg
The 14"
Tuolumne_Nov09 289.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Nice to read it's fishing well and you posted some nice pictures Daniel. Looks like you caught a nice fish in the photo. 14" fish is a good size for up there. I sure wish we could get up there again before it's close on the 15th but I don't think we'll be able to make it. Sherry wants to get some things done around the house over the 4 day weekend we'll have.

You can't miss the tree coming back into town. You turn the corner and there it is in all it's glory. We'll get together again when things open up and share some water.

I was looking for a bag like the one you have over your shoulder but haven't found one I like yet. I did buy a water proof bag from REI that I think will do the trick for now. It will hold my fly box, extra line and misc. things and I'll clip it to my side or wading belt. I really like the minimalist way of fishing. Tenkara introduced it to me and it's the only way to go. Rod, line, and fly box.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Which bag did you have from REI?

I'm still searching for the perfect bag, but the one I use and like is from Recycled Waders (www.recycledwaders.com).
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 pm

I looked at those but wasn't sure if that was the one you use. Here's what I bought. It has a d-ring so with a carabiner I can attach it to a loop in my pants or on my wader belt. I figured for $17 it was worth a try. It's water proof and expels air. The nice part is I can roll it and clip it to any size I want if I carry less gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/766587
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience