Tenkara Bass

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Bass

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:44 am

Yamame rules! 8-)

rvrgzr

Re: Tenkara Bass

Postby chtyrr » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Very cool man! What was your fly? How did you present it? Details man details! :D
Chuck

Tenkara is to flyfishing what the hot air balloon is to aviation.
chtyrr

Postby wrknapp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Very nice. Well done!

Randy
wrknapp

Postby rvrgzr » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:03 am

chtyrr wrote:Very cool man! What was your fly? How did you present it? Details man details! :D

I used a #12 slow sinking dragon fly nymph that a fly-tying friend makes for me. It has eyes and rubber legs. I blind cast to a likely spot and let the fly sink to the bottom. Rest a few seconds, then twitch it. If no response, I lift the fly to the surface.

The strikes occur: on the fall, right after the twitch, or as it's being lifted (medium speed) to the surface. You're welcome.

rvrgzr

Postby rsetina » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the information on what you used for a fly. But I'd like to know also what kind of line you were using? Level line, what X factor and how long of a line you used? All that would be useful. Thanks and congratulations on a nice looking bass! :D
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:24 am

rsetina wrote:Thanks for the information on what you used for a fly. But I'd like to know also what kind of line you were using? Level line, what X factor and how long of a line you used? All that would be useful. Thanks and congratulations on a nice looking bass! :D

I'll use level line when I'm trout fishing with weighted nymphs. I prefer braided line when casting a fly, ergo, I used braided line on this bass. The max 'X factor' on the Yamame is 5X. There are those of us who know the results of using a lower (stronger) X on large fish. Does "mailing a broken tip section back to Tenkara USA" sound familiar?

A note about tippet length: I've used as short as 2' in murky or water with lots of vegetation, and as long as 10' when water is clear and fish are spooky or I need to fish deep.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience