Tenkara with Dr. Hisao Ishigaki in the Catskills

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Tenkara with Dr. Hisao Ishigaki in the Catskills

Postby mhackney » Sun May 24, 2009 7:01 pm

I had the great fortune to attend Dr. Hisao Ishigaki's presentation and demo at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum yesterday (Sat. May 23). It was an excellent venue and presentation. Dr. Ishigaki gave an hour long presentation on Japanese fishing, trout & char, and tenkara. He had several beautiful bamboo rods and I believe he donated one to the museum. He also had several graphite Shimano tenkara rods. After the presentation, he gave a stream side demo. Joan Wulff was the first volunteer to try it out. My 14 y/o son also tried it and wants a rod! Daniel was there with a number of rods to demo too. He's a really nice, passionate guy.

I think tenkara fills a need in US fly fishing. Many of us have smallish streams with not-so-trophy size trout that tenkara would be perfect for. Couple that with extreme simplicity of equipment - including flies - and I believe tenkara can introduce many beginners to the sport and fill a gap for us serious types.

I wrote about the event and posted some photos on my blog at http://eclecticguy.com/2009/05/24/tenkara-how-my-blog-introduced-me-to-japanese-fly-fishing/

Cheers,
Michael
cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Return to About Tenkara