tips for those with sausage fingers?

Discussions on knots and other basic parts of fishing

tips for those with sausage fingers?

Postby domromer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm having a heck of time tying knots with what is to me super light tippet. I normally fish Florida bays and use 15lbs line. I'm really finding knot tying difficult with the 4x tippet I have, are there certain knots that are easier than others? Normally I'll use a clinch or polymer knot. Thanks in advance.

Dom
domromer

Re: tips for those with sausage fingers?

Postby Alex Argyros » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:58 am

Try the Davy Knot.
Alex Argyros

Postby steve_boulder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm

You might try one of the knot-tying tools. Search youtube for "knot tying tool" and you'll see a wealth of videos demonstrating various tools, some pricey, some pretty basic and cheap. (One of the other Tenkara bloggers recommends the Daiwa Figure 8 Tool as being hefty in price, but infinitely useful!)
Ebisu - 12'
Ito - 13' to 14'-7"
Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 27 - 8'-10"
steve_boulder

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 am

Hi Dom,

Sorry a little slow seeing this. The knot tool suggestion is great. Another thing that might help you out is that you don't have to use fly fishing tippet. We reccomend you stay below seven pounds of break strength with our rods, but there's no reason you can't use 6lb spinning line.

Spinning line is almost always larger in diameter than fly fishing tippet of the same break strength. This helps with leader shy fish like trout in clear water, but in a warm water environment that usually isn't an issue. Also, the bulkier spinning line will probably help turn over large warm water flies a little more easily.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Boyd_Shockley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm

One of the things that I learned from Gary Borger about Knot Tying is to use two pieces of Braided Nylon rope, each about 30-36 inches long to practice on. One piece should be 1/4” diameter and the other should be the next smaller diameter. These ropes will be supple enough to mimic thin nylon/monofilament/fluorocarbon lines, and the braided nylon is also easy to untie to try the knot over and over.
Boyd_Shockley

Postby dwalker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:38 pm

You might try tying a Davy knot using hemostats or wire hook clips, often used as hackle pliers, as shown in this video.

https://youtu.be/-NTVZAZ0xQA?t=2m58s

Or a similar idea for the 16-20 knot, aka Prizen knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELpoiNAHr0

However, I have also found that after a bit of practice, using thicker line, you can learn to tie any knot you want to use, by feel, where about all you need to do is keep track of the end of the tippet.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to Knots and other basics