WHAT KNOT TO USE FOR SILK EYED FLIES

Discussions on knots and other basic parts of fishing

WHAT KNOT TO USE FOR SILK EYED FLIES

Postby eburkhart » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 pm

I looked through the search topics but nothing caught my eye as to what knot is used for the silk eyed flies. seems the standard clinch knot would be defeating when time to remove or change flies.
any suggestions ?
thanks Eric (Tenkarzan)
eburkhart

Re: WHAT KNOT TO USE FOR SILK EYED FLIES

Postby Robert Olson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 am

How about a loop knot?

Bob
:D
Robert Olson

Postby jasonkonopinski » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:36 am

I tie a standard clinch, but you do need to be careful when snipping so as to cut cut the silk loop. Alternatively, I've started tying eyeless hooks with a short section of 15# Amnesia.
jasonkonopinski

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 am

I agree with Jason. I use a clinch and am just careful when I snip it off. I really believe that the silk eyes let the clinch knot tighten down better and allows better knot strength, but use mono a lot because its easier to tie with and easier to remove the fly.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby dwalker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:16 pm

I am of the same opinion of the previous commenters. Use the same knot you use for eyed hooks, just be careful when cutting the knot off. However, I don't use eyeless hooks very often.

But fwiw maybe this information that will encourage you that's it's OK to do the same thing.
I've been meaning to get round to doing this since I first saw this post.

Author: 桑原 玄辰 Gentatsu Kuwahara author of these two books:
Fishing Plus 3 テンカラの技術 (tenkara techniques) and
毛バリ釣りの楽しみ方 ( how to enjoy kebari fishing)
http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/ba6/1525809/20110922_2129861.jpg
Image taken from this website:
http://yoshidakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=605

桑原 玄辰, Gentatsu Kuwahara makes no distinction between the knots he uses for eyed and eyeless hooks. He uses the same knot for both, iow, he does not provide a separate page showing knots to be used with silk eyed hooks that are different from the knots he uses with eyed hooks . He also shows the same knots in both books.

Sorry but I cannot get my scanner to work since doing a recommended software update to the scanner software, I had to resort to making rushed pictures of two pages from one of his books, shooting with the camera held in hand without using a tripod. I hope the resolution is good enough to see the knots clearly. They are well known knots.

A page showing how he wraps on the eye of the hook. In this case he cuts off the eye to convert the hook into an eyeless hook.
silkeyekebariDSC_0152.jpg

Two pages later he shows 3 of his recommended kebari knots.
12. 毛バリの結び方 (kebari no musubikata) Kebari Knot or Kebari Knot How-to.

KebariKnotsDSC_0151.jpg

Of course there are many other good knots you can use. In the last year or two I have become fond of Knot C, or a similarly tied knot where I tighten a sliding loop knot over the standing part of the tippet. Even if I don't tighten or set this knot perfectly I've never had the knot slip and lose a hooked fish.

It is basically a thurle knot, but he tightens the loop on the standing part of the tippet rather than letting it tighten behind the eye of the hook. I've seen similar knots on other Japanese tenkara websites, but instead of the thurle knot they form the sliding loop with a simple overhand knot, also tightening the sliding loop over the standing part of the line.

冨士弘道, Fuji Hiromichi is another famous tenkara angler who shows the knot tied that way. But only using a simple overhand knot. There is a picture on the internet somewhere, but at the moment I can not find it.

If you are not familiar with him. He is author of the book 現代テンカラ, Modern Tenkara, and is also known for his furled lines, and is a consultant to Nissin for the design of several of their tenkara rods. Often labeled as 冨士流 (Fuji-ryū) which google will usually translate as Fuji flow, but it's probably more accurate to translate it as Fuji Style. Among other things he does. The following is a link to the webpage of his tenkara club website.
冨士流テンカラ講座(道具について)= Fuji flow(style) Tenkara course (about equipment / tools)

http://orange.zero.jp/tenkarakai.wing/kouza/kouza0.htm

The thurle knot loop is in my view just a double overhand knot, which is a little more secure than the simple overhand knot.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/turle-knot

Therefore my conclusion is just use what ever knot is a favorite of yours. Famous Japanese tenkara anglers do the same. These well known Japanese tenkara anglers / authors provides some evident that is what they do. Maybe it's some encouragement you should do the same thing. Maybe that carries more weight that the recommendation of others who are contributors to the forum and not famous tenkara anglers. Such as myself.

:) D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to Knots and other basics