A Video On Strength Testing and Tying The Double Davey Knot

Discussions on knots and other basic parts of fishing

A Video On Strength Testing and Tying The Double Davey Knot

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I did the test the video shows with the Double Davy Knot against the knots that I usually use, and the Double Davey Knot won every single time. Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBnuYu9P6yU

The tying of the Double Davey knot is a little hard to see and understand from the video, so here is another link showing how to tie the Single Davey Knot - Please scroll down to see the animated tying diagram: http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/davy-knot

To turn a Single Davey Knot into a Double Davey Knot, all you have to do is take the tag end of the line over and around the tag end side of the bottom loop one more time than the animated tying diagram shows.

Another thing I really like about the Double Davey Knot (besides it being simple, quick, easy to tie and incredibly strong) is that most of the time the eye of the hook the knot is tied to comes out clean and clear of any residual tippet material after the knot is cut off of the fly. Give this knot a try and see what you think.
Karl Klavon

Re: A Video On Strength Testing and Tying The Double Davey K

Postby adventureR » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I also use the Double Davy :)
I have found the single Davy would pop off the figure 8 stopper knot on my Level Line to tippet conn. A simple loop tied onto my LL and a DDavy has been very successful for my fishing.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby jd_smith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm not a fan of the Davy Knot (tried it and don't like it), but I'll have to give the DD knot a try. I've been using the Orvis tippet knot (very similar to the Double Davy) and Orvis leader knot (similar to a double figure 8) a lot over the past year and have had very good success with them. The knot's were recommended to me by a US Team fisherman so I figured that the are sound enough for me too.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby GregM » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:01 am

double post deleted
Last edited by GregM on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregM

Postby GregM » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 am

adventureR wrote:I also use the Double Davy :)
I have found the single Davy would pop off the figure 8 stopper knot on my Level Line to tippet conn.

I've been using a Davy for about 3 years. I've never had one slip over a stopper knot, and all I have on my level line is a single overhand knot.

The tag end will exit the knot at right angle when tied correctly. Also, tighten with the standing line, not the tag. And when trimming the tag, especially with dull nippers, do not pull on it, to avoid loosening the knot.
GregM

Postby adventureR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm

:o

Improperly tightening the knot sounds good but... The only thing that makes me question this however is many fish are caught with the same fly and tippet sometimes during more than one fishing trip. On a snag or large fish the disconnect of level line and tippet occurs. Changing the knot to a Double Davy and level line to a loop or tippet ring has worked better, no more disconnects. Also I test my knots after tying on a new tippet or fly and can break 5X or 4# test with my hands so this over and over again says the Davy on the stopper knot has some type of flaw. Of course there could be other variables but so far things are working w/ my set-ups.
^Edited messing around w/greg 's double post^
Last edited by adventureR on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby houghland1966 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:39 am

The davy is a great knot and one I've used for a long time however recently I discovered the penny knot. Tied using mono it's 100% when tied correctly ( it must make a click when you tighten it ) using fluoro it's still very strong but usually breaks at the hook so not quite 100%.

I use it to attach tippet to level line, tippet to hook and level line to lillian. It will undo again from the lillian without cutting.

I find it best and easirer to tie with forceps or long nose plires.

http://www.peterhayesflyfishing.com/page19715137.aspx
houghland1966

Return to Knots and other basics