Flouro v Mono, physical weights sampled.

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Re: Flouro v Mono, physical weights sampled.

Postby pechelman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 am

Stephen McGowen wrote:pechelman.......Go back to page one of the line links and start reading. They say"laziness has its own rewards" but I don't know what they could be .

Most energy in this country is made by burning fossil fuels to run steam turbines.... and yes, wasteful use of your electronic devices and redundant , repetitive posts on the countless blogs is a great source of cardon dioxide in the atmosphere. It greatly affects our fishing here in the NorthEast as the westerly winds push western carbon emissions this way.

Want to know stuff ? ...do some work. Laziness and lack of patience is becoming an American charateristic. Please don't become like that.

There are so many ways I could reply to this, but you are certainly not the first troll I've run into on the internet that insists upon *unting up a thread.

I've looked, and not just on this internet site, and I'd like to challenge you to actually produce these threads, or is it blog archive posts as you initially said, that quantitatively compare and allow the end user to select a line of either mono, fluoro, or even now titanium based on a desire to create a similar weighted line for a given diameter & length or to quantitatively understand what a material change would do for a given line size in a quick and easy visual format as the graph I posted.

This data also would allow someone to quantitatively compare two different rods they own based off what line size and line length they feel loads the rod best. Similar to Chris Stewart's Common Cents system.

Furthermore, I showed an easy way to quantitatively understand the impact a seemingly small change in diameter has on the wind resistance based on frontal\cross-sectional area from the formula for drag force; Fd = Q * Cd * A
Where;
Q=1/2*rho*v^2, which is constant for us unless we decide to go fishing on mars....
Cd = Drag coefficient, which is also constant for a round wire\line
A = Frontal Area, the only variable we can control

Again, this is quantitative.

Perhaps this isn't an issue of laziness on my part, as you suggest, but more so a problem of ignorance on yours since you clearly don't comprehend what I've produced here is actually unique to the internet, as far as I have been able to find, and value added to helping quantitatively answer the OP's question.

I could make some gross generalization about "Americans" and "ignorance", and use you as the example, but I think its pretty damn clear to the readers of this forum, and this thread, that there's only ONE of us that actually contributing something.

and if you are so concerned about the carbon footprint of certain things, maybe you shouldnt be fishing with a graphite rod made in china and then shipped to the US or using a computer to type this that's made from more raw oil than the fuel it takes to make the electricity it takes to move a few electrons around on a hard-disk platter to save the ~50kb of information stored in this one thread.
pechelman

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am

A sad reply.
Stephen McGowen

Postby pechelman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 am

Stephen McGowen wrote:A sad reply.

laughable is more like it
pechelman

Postby Skinhead » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Jason Klass wrote:In my experience, it definitely makes a difference. I've cast nylon and fluorocarbon lines side by side and the fluorocarbon casts significantly more easily (especially in the wind). Even though the difference in weight might seem small, because the line is so thin, I think it is more noticeable.

Just curious, did you weigh fluorocarbon specifically designed for Tenkara or spin and baitcasting rods? I'd be curious to know if Tenkara specific lines are heavier than, say, fluorocarbon from Cabela's.

Hi Jason,

As I work for Orvis in England, the flouro that I weighed was our own 18.2lb Mirage. Both lines diameters were measured with a Mitutoyo digital caliper. I too would be interested to know if there is any difference in comparison to Tenkara specific lines. When I buy a Tenkara level line I weigh that too.

Simon
シモン
Skinhead

Postby pechelman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Skinhead wrote:
Jason Klass wrote:In my experience, it definitely makes a difference. I've cast nylon and fluorocarbon lines side by side and the fluorocarbon casts significantly more easily (especially in the wind). Even though the difference in weight might seem small, because the line is so thin, I think it is more noticeable.

Just curious, did you weigh fluorocarbon specifically designed for Tenkara or spin and baitcasting rods? I'd be curious to know if Tenkara specific lines are heavier than, say, fluorocarbon from Cabela's.

Hi Jason,

As I work for Orvis in England, the flouro that I weighed was our own 18.2lb Mirage. Both lines diameters were measured with a Mitutoyo digital caliper. I too would be interested to know if there is any difference in comparison to Tenkara specific lines. When I buy a Tenkara level line I weigh that too.

Simon

Simon

If it would benefit you, I would be more than happy to weigh 24" samples of my TUSA flourocarbon lines in addition to the sunline flouro I have.
As it turns out, I have a couple of RCBS powder scales as well, with check weights, so hopefully that would remove any varability in our measurements.

Phil
pechelman

Postby Skinhead » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 am

pechelman wrote:
Skinhead wrote:

Hi Jason,

Simon

Simon

If it would benefit you, I would be more than happy to weigh 24" samples of my TUSA flourocarbon lines in addition to the sunline flouro I have.
As it turns out, I have a couple of RCBS powder scales as well, with check weights, so hopefully that would remove any varability in our measurements.

Phil

Hi Phil,

That would be good. It'll be interesting to see if there's much difference in comparison to the Mirage. The RCBS are certainly good scales, I've had mine for years, since the days that I used to shoot 10m ISU, now ISSF, competitively.

Simon
シモン
Skinhead

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Why not weigh a fishing worthy length of line? Some thing like 10 and or 13 feet, and or 15 and 20 feet of line for the longer line anglers here. That way you would get a more reliable result. After all its the fishing length lines we are all really interested in, not how much one foot of line weighs. One foot of one cutting or one production run may differ considerably from another. Weighing more feet of line will give you a better weight average because you are averaging more feet of line together.

On another matter I went back to the beginning of the Tenkara Line Board and it is a pretty simple matter to pick out the old threads you or I may be interested in and read them. I didn't attempt to use a search engine of any kind but just picked out topics I was interested in reading about. For what it is worth I found a lot of interesting information and material that I had not seen mentioned since I joined the T-USA Forum in those older posts that I looked at. However, I believe more patience for and leeway should be shown for the newer members of this board, who, understandably enough, just want to learn as much as they can about Tenkara fly fishing matters right now, going from this point onward. Tenkara fly fishing is in and of itself a return to a past traditions. Going back to the beginnings of this board and reading through our more recent history is an affirmation of that past tradition and well worth your time and effort to do it.
Karl Klavon

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 pm

I just tried weighing some lines but my scale isn't sensitive enough for them to register. :(
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby Skinhead » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Jason Klass wrote:I just tried weighing some lines but my scale isn't sensitive enough for them to register. :(

Unless you are using either a scientific or a powder scale I think you'll struggle. The RCBS that I have will measure accurately down to 1/4375oz, or 0.000 228 571 428 57 ounce if you want decimal.
シモン
Skinhead

Previous

Return to Tenkara Lines