storing different level lines

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

storing different level lines

Postby (303) 444-0025 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Does one need a Tenkara line holder for each length of level line/
(303) 444-0025

Re: storing different level lines

Postby GregM » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Mr. Rimbey,
In my opinion, no. But, spools Are easy. They are bombproof. Very little futzing around.

Hand wrapping and using ziplocks can lead to various levels of frustration. But it is very compact. And like many skills, is easily learned, depending on your needs and your motivation. I am in the 'hand wrapping" camp.

The last posts here will get you started: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4201&p=27039&hilit=GregM+lines#p27039
Last edited by GregM on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GregM

Postby adventureR » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum, not a name just a number!
I often put two or three lines on a holder that's got only one slot/groove. It does make a mess of things while wanting a different line under other lines. Some use bags, on rod holders, spools, flat slat like holders. Really anyway you want to store them is fine. Simple is best. Seems like I have several lines these days without a spool. I have made many line holders and could always use another one. :oops:
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby OutdoorsBen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I have a line holder per line. You could also used old tippet spools if you want.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby craigthor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Adventurer makes some awesome line spools....
craigthor

Postby GregM » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Above I told you What, and now realize that Why should be addressed.

When I started (18 months ago) I had 5 rods between 9' and 13.5', from "soft" to "stiff". I had #3, #3.5, #4, and #4.5 lines. I didn't have a clue about casting as I had never fished before. So I was running the gamut in terms of lines on rods. And I like to have them all in one place so I could try them on the water at any time with any rod. Spools were just to cumbersome.

So if you are a one rod guy you could get by with two spools for a while - a 3.5 and a 4.5 until you figure out weight, then go to one spool. Start with a 12', and if you want to experiment with longer just tie on 2'.

Also note that in the thread I referenced, Karl Klavon follows the ziplock approach, but there again you have someone fiddling with a number of line weights, lengths, and manufacturers, not your typical "one rod two line" guy.

Hope this helps.

Greg
(INTJ)
GregM

Return to Tenkara Lines