Which size level line do you use most often?

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Which size level line do you use most often?

No votes
No votes
No votes
4%
8%
42%
17%
29%
No votes

Total votes : 24

Re: Which size level line do you use most often?

Postby pechelman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Karl Klavon wrote:I believe there is another element involved here in line choice that no one has mentioned; If you stay with your normal line size you usually have to use a shorter line, but often there is not enough line weight in a line of that length to properly load the rod for accurate and relaxed casting.

cont....

Karl

Thats exactly what i was saying above with the following;

or I'm using short lines...that also need the extra weight [of a heavier line] to load the rods.

But your description was much more thorough! :)

I quickly learned this for myself last year when fishing the 9' iwana in some tight canopied sections with ~10-12' of #3 that I was previously using with the 12' handle. It just didnt work.
I switched to 12' of #5 (i think) on the short handle and casting was effortless.

and Jason
I can imagine you're frustrated with some of these responses, but some of us fish different lines fairly equally or in my case, somewhat indiscriminately.
I just fish whatever line I have attached to my lillian, which is usually matched to the rod length\line length and water I fish with that given rod. I dont use line spools and keep things perma-rigged with ez keepers and as such, have no need for spools or ways to keep track of what line is on what rod (and I rarely if ever switch lines). I just pick it up and fish, and to be honest, Id have to measure all of my lines on the rods to verify what lines I've been using.

On the platte, its safe to say I fish #4 60% of the time on an amago and #5 the remainder on a kiyose 53mf.

On bear\clear creek I fish #3 through #5, but with a time averaged bias toward 3.5 I think based off which sections I fish and what rods I seem to use most.

I fish other places, but these are the closest to me and thus see the bulk of my trips.

So then the question becomes, if you really want to know what single line size I fish most, is to ask where do I fish more and which rod do I fish most. To be honest, I have no clue, and thus I could not begin to answer you original question without explaining my situation.

And as I also noted, a time averaged assessment of my line size usage would probably show I prefer #4, but is that time averaged line size really what you were wanting out of this poll (i think not) or was it the physical single line one uses most?
pechelman

Previous

Return to Tenkara Lines