landing in a heap

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Re: landing in a heap

Postby houghland1966 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

I think Paul has hit the nail on the head. It's a tall order casting a popper on a T rod. You need a heavy line to cast a wind resistant fly. I think poppers are more suited to western fly gear.
houghland1966

Postby Paul Arnold » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Hold the phone, houghland1966, you and I are in agreement but not complete agreement.

My comments related to an Ayu, not tenkara rods in general.

Even with an Ayu, a person has a fighting chance of casting a (small) popper with the right line. The right line is probably a furled line, greased to float and not much longer (better same length) than the rod.

As for the point you raise about not using any tenkara rod for casting poppers, I think you and I flat disagree. I formerly owned an Amago (a fine rod) and very successfully cast bass bugs much larger and wind-resistant than the popper that began this thread. I did it, however, with furled lines.

This should come as good news for some folks who do not have a trout stream nearby and yet want to have the fun of fishing with tenkara gear, which the Amago clearly is.

Hook 'em houghland1966!

~Paul
Paul Arnold

Postby houghland1966 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Paul, I've never tried casting poppers on a T rod I've only cast them on western gear and when I did I needed a heavy line to get them out. I'm sure your set up would work and if I only had a T rod I'd give it a try but if I was going popper fishing I'd use my western gear.
houghland1966

Postby Paul Arnold » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm sure your set up would work and if I only had a T rod I'd give it a try but if I was going popper fishing I'd use my western gear.

I sure can't argue with that. I've had too much fun over the years with rod & reel fishing to ever slam it, big-time or little. If rod & reel is what you prefer, then follow your bliss.
Paul Arnold

Postby houghland1966 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:25 am

My first choice is the tenkara rod after 30yrs of western style fishing I found tenkara a breath of fresh air and I'm now addicted. The western gear still comes out now and again but only in the salt or pike fishing. Does anyone here use t rods in the salt?
houghland1966

Postby mikeywill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 pm

i'm getting the hang of it each time. and yes, you can throw small poppers with a tenkara rod. check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhXQ9_daeE
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Postby houghland1966 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Great video I think you may have converted me to popper fishing with a T rod
houghland1966

Previous

Return to Tenkara Lines