Bi-Vis lines

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Bi-Vis lines

Postby Gavin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:40 pm

I remember reading a post by Jason Klass some time ago about using flouro spinning line for the main body of the level line and hi-vis line for the sighter. It seems like a great idea but I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried it. Any info would be great, specifically about what spinning line to use. Thanks in advance.
Gavin

Re: Bi-Vis lines

Postby rmcworthing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 am

Gavin,

You can use spinning line such as Stren Hi-Vis. You will likely be happier if you make sure you use a 100% fluorocarbon product (most are composites). Visit your local Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop. There will be plenty to choose from. Try a 12-17lb test and see how things go.

We also used to place braided spectra spinning line on the end of furled lines to create a bi-vis sight indicator.

Ultimately, though, spinning line just wasn't made to perform the same way as dedicated tenkara level line. For example, the goal of a spinning line is to remain supple and fall off the spool, whereas the goal of a tenkara level line is to maintain some stiffness to assist in tenkara casting. You might not ever notice the difference, but if you do, it's hard to ignore.

There are so many colors available now that I would just recommend constructing your bi-vis line out of two (or more) dedicated tenkara lines. I'm pretty excited about TUSA's new level line options. Sticking about 6" of the red #2.5 on the end of 15" or so of the green #3.5 ought to give you great results.

Rob
rmcworthing

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

Here is another possible option for a HiVis Sighter Line Section that some here might find helpful and interesting: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?49380-Umpqua-s-New-Indicator-Tippet
Karl Klavon

Postby Jason Klass » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 am

Gavin, Amnesia also works well to improve visibility:http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/05/amnesia-strike-indicator/

But honestly, I'm waiting to see the new hi vis Tenkara USA lines. They look super bright.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby Softouch333 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Gavin, you are correct. Fluorocarbon with a sighter of Amnesia red was Misako's preferred line for a long time. (See Tenkara book.) Hi vis lines are nice too. I prefer the fewest knots so I give a nod to the hi vis fluoro. At these close ranges and in most lighting conditions its not critical, just nice. And early season when you are fishing deep, throw on an indicator too. :o
Softouch333

Postby Stephen McGowen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:45 pm

I use several Japanese brands of flourocarbon lines and enjoy their performance but lately I turn more often to Stren 100% flourocarbon florescent blue lines. Sizes #12, #15, and #17 are roughly equivalent to Japanese sizes 3, 3.5, and 4. Considering how our weak dollar compares to the Japanese yen, the Japanese lines are a poor value. Sunline 25 meter spools are about $25. A $22 spool of Stren 100% Floro gives you 200 yards. quite a deal for you and several fishing buddies.
I can see the flourescent blue easily in most conditions and I have only sight in one eye.

Avoid Stren Flourocast , it is a blend of mono and flouro.
Stephen McGowen

Postby Karl Klavon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 am

Speaking of domestic FC line sources at reasonable prices, although a No-Vis line, Cabela's No-Vis 100% Fluorocarbon Premium Fishing Line is available on 200 yard spools for $12.99 for 4-8 Lb test, $13.99 for 10 Lb test, $14.99 for 12 &15 Lb test, and $16.99 for 20 Lb test.

I have used this line for leader construction for years in the 10 through 4 Lb test ratings. It is stiffer than most FC lines out there on the market and casts very well in hand tied leaders. I made up a 12 foot long #2 T-line yesterday and cast it in my back yard. The 8 Lb line came off of the spool with so little memory that no stretching was needed to cast it. For such a light line, I was amazed at how well it cast on a delicate T-rod. However, I do not know if the present line formula is the same as the line that I have as I have had it for a long time. I gave it a try in the first because, at the time, 200 yards of this line cost only a couple of dollars more than a 25 yard spool of FC fly fishing tippet material by almost any maker of your choice, and I was not disappointed by its performance.

Here is a link to the 200 Yd Spool size and additional information, you have to scroll down slightly to see the additional information: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-NO-VIS-FLUOROCARBON-LINE-200-YARDS/1434764.uts?WTz_l=CQO
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Lines