Tippet ?

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Tippet ?

Postby 257ROBT » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 am

I am slowly running out of Rio 5x Power Flex tippet that I like. The problem I have is that I don't have any where near me to get it. The closest is a shop about 1 1/2 hours away or order it. Because of this I am wondering about different tippet options. As anyone tried using lines like Berkley Trilene XL in say 4# or clear nylon sewing thread or even Berkley Vanish 4#? Tenkara is simple, so I am trying to make it simple for me to get something local.

Dale
257ROBT

Re: Tippet ?

Postby craigthor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am

Can't really help with using other lines as tippet, I use the Varivas Master Spec Mono in 5, 6, and 7x and have been super happy with it. I just order online as the closest place is driving to Cabelas in Prairie DuChein.

Craig
craigthor

Postby Nagasaurus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Any 3# or 4# mono will work fine. I haven't purchased new tippet spools for years--I have a bulk spool of 3# line leftover from filling a spinning reel that I use to refill my old tippet spool over and over.

I'd avoid anything this is "extra limp" if you fish longer tippets as a bit of stiffness makes caster easier in my opinion.
Nagasaurus

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 pm

If you really like the Rio you can find it online with free shipping. I know LL Bean has it. As far as other tippets. I've used Scientific Anglers in 5x and the Tenkara/Frog Hair. I don't really have a preference between the two.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby tsegelke » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm

I have regularly used Mono, or Florocarbon lines. I have used several brands and most worked just fine. The thing to look at is the diameter more than the lb rating to pick your size. Then I just stayed below 5lb rating as the secondary thing to look at.
tsegelke

Postby 257ROBT » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Ordering will be my option. I just get nervous that you might get old stock. As far as tippet locally, it is whatever the "Mart" stores carry, which is poor at best. This is why I was curious about some other options. I will check one store tomorrow, other wise I'll have to order. I have used several other tippet brands and for me, the Rio PowerFlex 5x beats them hands down.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby 257ROBT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

I had a chance to get to my local "mart" store and found this 3lb.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=1076&pc=576

They only had it in the camo blue. Any thoughts on line color? If it was clear I wouldn't worry.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby johnlaudenslager » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:39 am

My favorite is Berkeley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon, 4# test, .007" average diameter - available at all Walmarts. It is 100% Fluoro and true to stated diameter. The 110 yard spool is convenient.

When I first tried it years ago, even if I wet a knot with saliva before tightening, the knot strength was poor compared to others of the same diameter. Then I discovered that if I used it a few minutes, and tried to break off a fly to change to a new one, the knot strength had improved markedly. It seems the WET knot strength is excellent.

Another material I can recommend, a bulk tippet material seconded by some posting at troutlegend http://troutlegend.com/forum/fips-mouch ... ernatives/ is Seaguar AbrazX 100% fluoro 4#, .0065". I have seen it at Cabelas and I think BassPro shops. The smallest spool is 200 yards, however.
johnlaudenslager

Postby GregM » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 am

"I just get nervous that you might get old stock."

If it's Fluoro, it's good for about 1000 years. On the shelf, or in the sun.

That's both good, and bad. Make sure to carry out those tag-ends.
GregM

Postby tntom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 am

johnlaudenslager wrote:My favorite is Berkeley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon, 4# test, .007" average diameter - available at all Walmarts. It is 100% Fluoro and true to stated diameter. The 110 yard spool is convenient.

+100%

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Return to Tenkara Lines