daintree dreaming

daintree dreaming

Postby CraigP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:46 am

heading back to Mossman in July, this year I'm taking some tenkara to hunt the JPs (jungle perch) in the rainforest. flies will be small unweighted gurglers, poppers, cicadas, hoppers, foam monsters. taking a yamame [because even small JPs pull hard] (+cheap competitor brand as a spare), and an Ito just for the heck of it.

will report on the outcome later in july.
CraigP

Re: daintree dreaming

Postby domenicb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Enjoy yourself
domenicb

Postby CraigP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 am

just realised that I forgot to post the outcome. no problemo. the hype about skittish-nesh of JP's in crystal clear tropical rainforest rivers is overdone for a tenkara angler.

JP's: actually, tenkara is a superb way to stealth-hunt them. use a long rod short line for controlled placing of large fly or tuck casting a smaller one with limited back cast room. JP's look up for food, and fight for the hook. large cicada/hopper style pattern that "plops" works, so does a size 12 sakasa kebari that you "plip" with a tuck cast to land heavily. not fussy on pattern or colour.

sooty grunter - not cracked the code yet.

skinny/swoffing - way too many salties around in all the river outlets on this trip, and they were way too damn lively, interested and active, so the skinny/salt water fishing was quickly abandoned - I don't like being hunted while I fish!

C
CraigP

Postby Chiseler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Craig,jungle perch would be fun up the daintree,in that very clear water,I off down too eucumbene for the opening of trout season next month and will be taking the Amago should be interesting to fish with all the traditional guys set ups.
醜い何かを持っていたことがない
Chiseler

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand