Queensland newbie

Queensland newbie

Postby Chiseler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:01 am

Tenkara fishing appeals to me as I have been flyfishing for many years,I would like any tips you guys and girls can pass onto me I was thinking of fishing for whiting,bream and bass and when I get down to nsw again trout.
The rod I am assuming is the Ayu but being inexperienced I looking for a bit of advice.
I have asked up here in Brisbane but no one has heard about it or interested.

Thanks
Adrian
醜い何かを持っていたことがない
Chiseler

Re: Queensland newbie

Postby CraigP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:19 am

Chiseler wrote:Tenkara fishing appeals to me as I have been flyfishiny years,I would like any tips you guys and girls can pass onto me I was thinking of fishing for whiting,bream and bass and when I get down to nsw again trout.
The rod I am assuming is the Ayu but being inexperienced I looking for a bit of advice.
I have asked up here in Brisbane but no one has heard about it or interested.

Thanks
Adrian

Sorry can't really give advice as I'm learning that side also (although this doesn't seem to stop many others!) My experience in swoffing is with western gear, 'cept for a muck around 'with bone fish and milkfish with a yamame in Kiribati for fun.
Peruse others posts on this forum. I'd allso think you could fish the inland lakes for bass.

I'll be back in port Douglas to check in with the family in June for 2 weeks, so I'll give it another go around the piers (out of reach of the salties).

Unless you are fishing for small species, and unweighted, I'd step up from the ayu, it's a softer rod. The length is good, and it fishes well, esp. The new #2 model. But if you were wanting to chuck depth charge dumbbell flies or hunt larger species, a yamame or amago might be worth considering for more backbone.
CraigP

Re: Queensland newbie

Postby Chiseler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks Craigp
Ended up ordering the Amago,thanks for the advice
Adrian
醜い何かを持っていたことがない
Chiseler

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand