another new aussie

another new aussie

Postby howler » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 am

hi guys ,ive just been bitten by the tenkara bug and im very keen to learn everything i can about it ,im yet to get a rod as i dont know where in aus would stock them ,ive been fly fishing for around 5 years ,i live in nsw up around armidale so there is alot of trout and bass nearby ,and even bigger fish like redfin ,yellow belly and cod that i am keen to try when i learn more ,hope to make a few freinds along the way ,,cheers jas
howler

Re: another new aussie

Postby tsegelke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 am

Welcome. Sounds like you live in the perfect location.

I had to order mine online, and I haven't fished anything but Tenkara since.
tsegelke

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:59 am

howler wrote:hi guys ,ive just been bitten by the tenkara bug and im very keen to learn everything i can about it ,im yet to get a rod as i dont know where in aus would stock them ,ive been fly fishing for around 5 years ,i live in nsw up around armidale so there is alot of trout and bass nearby ,and even bigger fish like redfin ,yellow belly and cod that i am keen to try when i learn more ,hope to make a few freinds along the way ,,cheers jas

Welcome to the forums.

Just as an FYI, we ship direct to Australia from the UK or USA warehouse so you indeed can order our gear online and it will ship to you.

Hope you enjoy tenkara when you find what you want to use.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby howler » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 am

thanx for the welcome guys,i will have a look and see what rods would suit,,cheers jas
howler

Postby Gig50 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Jas,

Great to see another aussie on this site, as it's kind of lonesome. This season I have all intention to use my Tenkara rod as much as I can. I've decided to go minimalist with my gear and seriously get into Tenkara, not traditionally but as another tool and technique to fish. Good luck in your quest to find a suitable rod and most importantly, have fun :)
Gig50

Postby howler » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 pm

hi gig50,its good to know that there is more aussies takeing up this sport ,thanx for th e welcome,now comes the hard part, working out what rod to get and what line to use ,,cheers jas
howler

Postby CraigP » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:46 am

howler wrote:hi gig50,its good to know that there is more aussies takeing up this sport ,thanx for th e welcome,now comes the hard part, working out what rod to get and what line to use ,,cheers jas

hey howler,welcome. sent you a pm if you'd like some assistance to get up and going.
last season was a boom one in australia (funny, it was tough in NZ, ironically). this seasons just started and looks like another pearler for all forms of fishing, tenkara esp.
good luck. if you see a brown outlander van on the river bank, look closely for the TUSA icon on the bumper and look out for a guy in camo wearing a tenkara bum cap and holding an iwana - that would likely be me, and I'm always up for conflab to compare notes with a fellow tenkara angler on river.
CraigP

Postby CraigP » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:04 am

Gig50 wrote:Hi Jas,

Great to see another aussie on this site, as it's kind of lonesome. This season I have all intention to use my Tenkara rod as much as I can. I've decided to go minimalist with my gear and seriously get into Tenkara, not traditionally but as another tool and technique to fish. Good luck in your quest to find a suitable rod and most importantly, have fun :)

gig50, you've got it. dump all the gear, it's the only way to become proficient, and especially enjoyable for tenkara. take two lines (one spare in case a tree/bush jumps out and grabs one - just saying, here in Aus they do that a lot), one spool of tippet and clipper, and about a dozen barblessflies (you'll need that many because the fish chew them up, sometimes a fly lasts 8 fish but sometimes only two). that and a net is all that is needed (I also carry a staff for a bum knee and a water bottle - if going remote, a survival kit also). focus on the angling skills and not the gear. it will either teach you how to fish well or help lyou remember how you used to. it is VERY uplifting to be fishing free of gear- no vest or bag. I've replicated this back into every other form of fishing, going back to my roots again when as a kid i used to fish (successfully) the streams etc with only the most basic gear. although, I can't see how can I "tenkara" style without a rod, just a handline, to complete the journey.
CraigP

Postby howler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 pm

hi craigp ,would be great to bump into you on the river ,ill bet you could teach me heaps ,thanx for all the advice as well,pm answered as well,i think the hardest part will be working out what size rod to buy ,as i dont want to buy a rod then have it hang in the shed not getting used ,cheers jas
howler

Postby Gig50 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello CraigP,

I got myself a USA Yamame rod for my Tenkara adventures ahead this season which starts very soon for me living in NSW. I bought this particular rod as I'm going to use it not traditionally but as a tandem nymphing and soft hackle rod, maybe even try tandem dry fly with nymph dropper . I have a bum right shoulder and I'm hoping the lighter rod, high sticking all day will not have painful repercussions with me. This rod should have the backbone required for such fishing and handling larger size fish.

As mentioned in my PM CraigP we should get together when it gets a little warmer.

Gig
Gig50

Next

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand