Newbie from Perth WA

Newbie from Perth WA

Postby simonc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi guys & gals,

I just thought I'd drop by the forum to introduce myself & say a huge thankyou to Daniel and the folks at TenkaraUSA for 1st of all providing me with a fantastic Iwana & Ayu rods, as well as opening my eyes to the most fun I've had casting a fly in years :D

I've only had the time to practice in the backyard last night ,and already I have a preference for the slower Ayu...
Big thanks also for getting the order out to me so quickly during the holiday period!

S.
simonc

Re: Newbie from Perth WA

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Simon.

I was wondering what type of fishing there is in Western Australia suited for tenkara? I think the common perception here is that it is too hot/dry for trout but I would assume you could have some tailwater fisheries?

Cheers, -K
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby simonc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 am

Hi & thanks for the welcome!

As a general rule you are quite right in your assumptions that its too hot / dry - though there are some streams which, while not what I would call world class, but great in their own right, in terms of uniqueness.
Im referring to places like the Lefroy Brook & Warren river systems near Pemberton in our states south west.
http://watfaa.org.au/gallery/
This link should give you a fair idea as to what the terrain / waters / fish look like. ( Im not affiliated with the club at all btw).
If the trout fishing is not so great, its also possible to head to the coast to fish for West Australian Salmon ( not a true Salmon mind you, but they go like the clappers...I don't think I'm brave / silly enough to try fishing tenkara for these - a 9wt is usually the right equipment).

During the summer months though, I spend time fishing the Swan/Canning river in Perth,mostly for Black bream - which are as wily and elusive as just about any trout you're likely to come across! Along with the even more elusive, almost to the point of bringing me to tears, mullet - which cruise around in front of you while wading the shallows, refusing everything that you throw their way. They are also big and fast, I've only ever managed to foul hook one once. Im hoping catch one using tenkara and a kebari. Wish me luck...

cheers,

S.
simonc

Postby jayfisher » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I first saw "Perth WA," and immediately starting thinking, "Hmm .. I didn't know there was a Perth, Washington." (WA is our abbreviation for Washington State a few miles from me and that's what I think of when I see "WA.") It turns out the joke is on me, but I enjoy the fun of catching myself in these little moments. Lol! I hope at least that I'm not the only one who's ever had this kind of experience.

Anyway welcome, Simon! It's always good to have another forum member from Australia. :)

-Jack
jayfisher

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand