What Flies are we Aussies using this season

What Flies are we Aussies using this season

Postby CharlieDangerfield » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:42 am

Thought I would post a list of flies I will be using this season with my Tenkara rod.

Have just started tying my own as well so have some interesting examples.

Flies so far are Hares ear nymph, Bead head Brassie, Pheasant Tail nymph , Elk hair caddis (some look a little ugly :oops: ) Red tags and some generic looking beetle patterns, have also just started tying some Foam hoppers and Chernobyl ant's mainly as a large indicator when fishing the nymph's.

I will post some photo's later in the week.

cheers
Charlie
CharlieDangerfield

Re: What Flies are we Aussies using this season

Postby jayfisher » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:59 am

Charlie,

I read your fly list with a lot of interest. What's especially interesting is that your list could very well be what's in the fly box of an angler here in the Western U.S. (I don't know red tags, so I hope you post some photos.) Good to see that we seem to be using the pretty much similar flies as our cousins across the big pond. I think most of us agree that "ugly" elk hair caddis usually work as well as "pretty" ones. Thanks for your post!

-Jack
jayfisher

Is the Killer Bug dead?

Postby CraigP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 am

Last season I had little success on my imitation killer bug. I figured I wasn't getting it right with the dubbing mix, so I bought a ball of wool from Chris Stewart and the pen, tied up a bunch. They looked just like the pic's on Chris's website.

Now I am not so sure. Last weekend, I started off with the KB's on my Victorian streams. Not one strike on any of them. I swapped to the proven beadhead pheasant tail nymphs. I caught a lot of fish. It became quite pronounced - I would fish with a KB and get nothing, then swap to a PTN and get two or three fish in the same spot. I tried a number of different KB's from size 12's to 14's to 16's, no result. They were bouncing on the bottom too. I changed several, as I lost a few in trees.

Also, not a touch on any sakasa kebari flies either. I was fishing the freestone rivers, with no rise or emergers. Since my czech nymphs catch fish on these rivers, I am nonplussed by the spectacular refusals of the KB last weekend. Any suggestions from anyone?

craig
CraigP

Postby CharlieDangerfield » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 am

G'day Craig have not tried the KB as yet.

I had to work last Saturday so only got to fish Sunday close to home (Upper reaches of the Loddon River) water was still dirty with good flow only 4 fish for the day and all on a size 16 PTN, some rises to a small EHK.

What size PTN's where you using?

cheers

Charlie
CharlieDangerfield

Postby CraigP » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

shock! size 14's . I've consistently found that the 14's are slightly better than 16's in this basin, fish seem to expect 'em slightly larger, or maybe they can be seen easier. my 16's and 18's are preferred in NZ and in other basins. at this time of year, I've found the humble gold beadhead works best. 1/8inch size, means the fly does down to bottom in the drift to the fish's feeding zone, but not very heavy so tenkara castable with ease. the fish are generally down nymphing, hard to get them to come up for anything, most of the menu is along the bottom, so they aren't really targeting on much food above yet - a splash land might help alert them. with a size 3 line, and 6x tippet, you can really see what's going on at the fly end just from the end of the line.

craig
CraigP

Postby j » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 am

Gday guys fished locally for start of season to try and miss the hoardes on the popular vic streams and rivers so ended up at the King Parrot at Strath Creek. Amago in hand some killer bugs, bead head nymphs, emergers and some red tags I set out along an area that in twenty years I have never struck out. So for all the different patterns and styles of presenting the flies over the 5 hrs of fishing the only excitement was while exiting the creek I managed to step over a red belly black snake. This was the first time I have tried kb's I tie mine with green crystal flash wing case form tail to head and sand colored belly but as I struck out on my usual patterns for this stream I may give them another chance.
Favourite flies
Nymph (green brown black)
Red tag
foam body hopper (hopper season)
tiny dry spinners 18 22 in black or white
plus any other of the hundreds cramming my fly boxes :roll:
cheers James
JamesD
j

Postby TonyB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 am

My go to flies are Royal Wulff several sizes, March Brown and several variations of beaded nymph, I use a large Royal Wulff as an indicator, when the fish start going for the large Royal Wulff, I tie on a smaller Wulff.

Tony
Man responds to the world as he perceives it, not as it is. Borg
TonyB

Postby Gig50 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Hello all, another Aussie here and my go to flies whether using Tenkara or regular fly fishing apparel are the following:

Nymphs
Pheasant tail nymphs beaded and not in assorted sizes, usually #16, 14 and #12.
Black nymphs beaded and as above.

Dry
Parachute Adams in #14 and 12.
Red Humby as above.

These are the flies which regularly catch me my fish.
Gig50

Re: Is the Killer Bug dead?

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:24 am

CraigP wrote: Any suggestions from anyone?

If I caught fish on PTN but not killer bugs, I'd fish PTN. Use what works.
CM_Stewart

Re: He IS everywhere

Postby CraigP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I was beginning to think that maybe Chris wasn't omnipotent and ever present, as even with the deliberately provocative title, there'd been no reaction to my razz. :o . How wrong have I been proven, he IS everywhere. :shock:

I think the comparatively lack lustre performance of KB pattern here so far may be linked to similar comparatively lack lustre performance of classic Czech nymph patterns originating from europe. they are quite different to those proven in south east Aus. I can get them to work, but find the conventional local patterns work as well if not better. Interesting, no? even the flashy clown fly ties of some conventional patterns, including adding pink or purple tags on conventional patterns as hot spots, have tended to work better than the the european patterns in my experience to date. as always, lot to be said for local knowledge.
CraigP

Next

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand