Pesca alla Valsesiana

Re: Pesca alla Valsesiana

Postby Valsesia » Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Ronald ,
I'm very happy for your future visit in Valsesia in generally the best time for fly fishing is from mid May to mid July but this year I think that will start later because it still gets very cold (it snowed again yesterday in the mountains over 1500 meters!) and the water level is very high.
To attached the line at the rods I use a double-surgeon like that describe to connect the tippet in Tenkara Technique but if you come here to fish we can meet and I'll show you the characteristics of the technique Valsesiana with pleasure.
The last year Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia®,came here to fish and was very impressed by our ancient technique of fly fish "Valsesiana"and he was described it in a wonderful article entitled "Simple Gifts" which was in the October 2009 issue of Fly Rod & Reel magazine.
I think that you'll be fascinated by the beauty of our rivers and the possibility of discovering a technique of ancient fishing with wisdom handed down from our elders ,I must tell you that for me "Valsesiana" is a philosophy a way to feel immersed in nature.
Meanwhile, why not try to catch with four flies like we do maybe you have fun and take more fish!
But remember what I wrote no line cuts through the air like a line of horsehair braided!

Best regards from Valsesia
Andrea
Valsesia

Postby Wupperfischer » Thu May 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Andrea,

i think now i have to visit Valsesia! From the Tourist information a got a package with a lot of information. What do you think is the best village to stay?

I love horsehairlines and fish them quite often at my homeriver with one fly. We are not allowed to fish more than one fly, but for me this is no handicap. On my little blog i wrote an article how i furl my horsehairlines:
http://einfach-fliegenfischen.blogspot.com/2010/03/pferdehaarleine-lenze-costruite-in.html

Best regards Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby Valsesia » Sun May 09, 2010 7:03 am

Hi, Ronald
The best place for your sojourn in Valsesia for my is Varallo Sesia the beautiful Village where I was born (let me know if you want the name of a good hotel), yesterday I met the president of the fishermen society the person who collaborated on the book :
Dionigi, Renzo; Storti Storchi, Claudia
La pesca alla valsesiana: tracce di storia della pesca nella tradizione scritta e orale della Valsesia
When you come here I'm happy to let you know this gentleman who is one of the most profound knowledge of Valsesian fly fishing .
Unfortunately it continues to rain and the season of fly fishing is late I'll know you when is the good time.

Best Regards Andrea
Valsesia

Postby Valsesia » Sun May 09, 2010 7:48 am

This is a photo that I take yestarday on the background Varallo!
Attachments
rod.jpg
old rod in bamboo the ligatures are made of hemp and then were covered with pitch
rod.jpg (221.16 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
Valsesia

Postby Wupperfischer » Sun May 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi Andrea,

are these solid bamboorods still available? I think this rods are a must have for me to fish my horsehairlines in the rigt traditional way.
Today i had a nice fishing day with my horsehairline, it was quite windy, but the horsehairlines cast very well in windy conditions.

Best regards
Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby Valsesia » Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 am

Hi Ronald ,
this road is owned by the president of Valsesian company fishermen and he still use that for the demonstrations.
When you come here you can try your horsehairlines with Valsesian style of fishing and I think you'll like it. I attached a photo of a tipical valsesian horseline .
There are many fishermen engaged in this fishery in Germany?

Regars Andrea
Attachments
coda.jpg
this is a tipical Valsesian horseline nothing has yet surpassed the horseline guys you have to try it!
coda.jpg (177.08 KiB) Viewed 16517 times
Valsesia

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 am

Hi Andrea,

at the moment i think there are only a handfull of flyfisher which practice flyfishing without a reel, but i am working to convince more people to convert to this easy way of fishing.

On the pipam site i found a nice article about the valsesian bamboorods.
http://www.pipam.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=329&Itemid=33

Two short questions concerning the horsehairline. How much hairs do you fish at the buttend and how much at the tippet end. Mine lines have a total lenght of 3,60m with 6 sections: 2 sections with 6 hairs, 2 sections with 5 hairs and 2 sections with 4 hairs. They cast wonderfull with my Tenkararods.

Do you know this book:

Mario Albertarelli
L amo e la lenza
http://www.spinningonline.it/associazione/pdf/Lamoelalenza.pdf
I think there are some description of the valsesian fishing style in it.

In the film „La storia de la pesca mosca italiano” I saw some valsesian flies which seemed to be for sale by a fishing shop.
I tried to find out more but was without success. Is this shop still selling Valsesian flyfishing equipement?
Armeria Valsesiana
Borgosesia
If yes, I think this another place I have to visit.

Best regards Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby Valsesia » Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Ronald,
like is described in the TenkaraBum site the valsesiana line as tapering from 14 or 16 hairs at the rod end down to 3 at the tippet end , but this can change as needed and depends from the length of the line you must consider that, there is a general rule then every fisherman builds his line according to his preferences and his little secrets.
It's incredible you from Germany have found a book that describes in great way the Valsesiana fly fishing , is about a fisherman who sees another young fisherman fishing with Valsesiana fly technique (right where I was born and where I learned to fish near Varallo Sesia) and remains enchanted.
the author writes: if I live thousand years will never forget the sight of grace and physical strength .
The Valsesian guys fished with bamboo rods and jumping from rock to rock without ever stopping to rotate the line, he not cast the fly but resting it gently on the water.
Thank you for this book Ronald.
Best Regars
Attachments
binding.jpg
detailed of an ancient binding in hemp-covered with pitch
binding.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 16473 times
Valsesia

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Valsesia wrote:Normally the line exceeds the length of the rod even two or three meters all depends on the skill of the fisherman and where he wants to get.

Does that measure include the leader and tippet to the last fly or is the line itself that long, with the leader and tippet another meter or more beyond that? In other words, for a 4 meter rod, how long would the normal or usual line + leader + tippet be to the last fly?
CM_Stewart

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed May 19, 2010 4:05 pm

The more I read about pesca alla Valsesiana, the more interested in it I become. It isn't really tenkara, and in some ways seems to be a window into loop rod fishing. I'm going to have to reread David Webster's The Angler and the Loop Rod. I've done a page on pesca alla Valsesiana, and will surely add to it or modify it as I learn more. I'm intrigued.
CM_Stewart

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Europe