Postby dmuceni » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 am

Wupperfischer wrote:And a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jdzxDF8huE

This is not a video about Valsesiana.
It's a small part of a video about a spanish way of fishing in small rivers
dmuceni

Re: Pesca alla Valsesiana

Postby Wupperfischer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 am

Do you have further information about this way to fish?
Wupperfischer

Postby dmuceni » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 am

Wupperfischer wrote:Do you have further information about this way to fish?

sorry i don't.
I've seen the entire video and they use 8mt telescopic rod, 1mt line and a fly. Not so far from Tenkara o Valsesiana, but i did not understand if it's a traditional fishing method or not.
The documentary was about fishing in small rivers in a particular region of spain.
It's in spanish language, i just understan a few words (i'm from Italy).

Bye,
Davide.
dmuceni

Postby dmuceni » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 am

Morgan wrote:It really is remarkable how similar tenkara and valsesiana are. Could they have really developed independently, right down to the 12-14 foot telescoping rod and reversed hackles?

About fly fishing story in Italy.
As i discovered reading www.pipam.org forum, there is a very intresting painting in Italy showing St. Zeno with a rod, line and flies in 300 a.d. !!!
http://www.pipam.org/FORUM/THREAD.php?t ... =32#256432
dmuceni

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 am

Davide,

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us more information about pesca alla Valsesiana, or point us to any videos of the technique?

It is very interesting that such similar fishing techniques developed on the opposite sides of the world.
CM_Stewart

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Davide,

many thanks for your answer. Do you practise pesca alla valsesiana and have further informations for us?

Best regards Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby dmuceni » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 am

Hi.
It is quite funny.
I'm just a begginer fly fisherman, i began 2 years ago. I didn't know anything about valsesiana before reading this small article about tenkara http://www.pipam.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=88
that took me to this wonderfull site by a reserch in google. I just ordered a rod.

Than in the discussions about tenkara in the italian forum, sombody said that this style is very similar to valsesiana.
The problem is that informations about this way of fishing are inexistent in internet. And also it's very difficul to find tackles in shops.

So now i know an ancient fishing style of my own country thanks to an american site that describes a japanese way of fishing. power of the internet. :)

Anyway... i still have to try this style.

Congratulation to founder and all the staff for this site and community. I consider this site a perfect example of how an eShop shoud be.
thank you, bye bye.
Davide.
dmuceni

Postby Softouch333 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:20 pm

This link is mentions the history of Vaslesiana cane fishing back to 1478 if my interpretation is correct:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... start%3D10

...and one illustrating the brace of flies and again the reverse hackle:
http://www.fipsaslodi.com/files/lasfida ... esiana.pdf

Spanish long pole fishing with reverse hackles dates at least to 1539.
Of course Dame Juliana used a long pole too.
In the end, long-pole fly fishing especially with a reverse hackle fly is a likely evolution in any geography with less accessible, higher gradient streams and the availability of light rod materials... even in the United States. We are indeed a young nation are we not?
Softouch333

Postby CFraker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I hate to see this thread peter out, but I understand there is only so much information on this technique available on the web. I would really like to know more about the casting techniques and how they compare/contrast to the casts we use with our Tenkara rods. I wonder if they use any two-handed casts, especially with the slightly longer rods?
CFraker

Postby LMarshall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:08 pm

CFraker wrote:I hate to see this thread peter out, but I understand there is only so much information on this technique available on the web. I would really like to know more about the casting techniques and how they compare/contrast to the casts we use with our Tenkara rods. I wonder if they use any two-handed casts, especially with the slightly longer rods?

Same here. I'm pretty curious about this.

On rods - the diagram in the PDF posted above specifies a 5m telescopic rod. Is there anything special about these? I wonder if any of the allfishingbuy.com rods would do, or do you run the risk of the same problems people ran into when attempting tenkara with crappie poles here in the US?
LMarshall

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Europe