Is fishing season in California just 7 months ?

Some states define fly-fishing as using a "fly-rod, fly-reel and flies". The use of a reel should not be a defining aspect of fly-fishing.
This forum is a place to share information about how certain states define "fly-fishing" for the purpose of "fly-fishing only" waters. And, if you contact a state for clarification, how would they treat tenkara? (e.g. Connecticut defines fly-fishing as using "fly-reel", one of our users, Mr. Hackney, contacted the Connecticut authority for clarification, and they said Tenkara IS fly-fishing, see more in first post).

Re: Is fishing season in California just 7 months ?

Postby jdchaussee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 am

I went searching for some clarification about this the last few weeks. The area I fish (sacramento, placer, el dorado, nevada co., etc...) is the region 2 office (number is (916) 358-2900). Even they seemed confused by the regulations! They ended up giving me the number to the Placer County Fisheries Biologist (name is Ken (916) 358-2874). Really cool guy, left a message for him and he got back to me within a few days. Per him, the only water that is "winter fishable" in our area, TJ and Greg, is the American river system with a 0 bag limit (artificial/barbless of course). The Bear (all of it), unfortunately, closes Nov 15 :-(.

If you ever have a question about a body of water, call Ken. He is a busy guy, but really nice and WILL get back to you. He is able to look up the regulations for any body of water in region 2. I made him a contact in my phone. lol ;-)
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm

jdchaussee wrote:I went searching for some clarification about this the last few weeks. The area I fish (sacramento, placer, el dorado, nevada co., etc...) is the region 2 office (number is (916) 358-2900). Even they seemed confused by the regulations! They ended up giving me the number to the Placer County Fisheries Biologist (name is Ken (916) 358-2874). Really cool guy, left a message for him and he got back to me within a few days. Per him, the only water that is "winter fishable" in our area, TJ and Greg, is the American river system with a 0 bag limit (artificial/barbless of course). The Bear (all of it), unfortunately, closes Nov 15 :-(.

If you ever have a question about a body of water, call Ken. He is a busy guy, but really nice and WILL get back to you. He is able to look up the regulations for any body of water in region 2. I made him a contact in my phone. lol ;-)

Very cool info and thanks for figuring that out.

Funny how even the ones that issue these regulations are confused. hehehe

At least a select few may know what is going on.

Thanks again.
tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Local shop is closing? In Nevada City, or closer to Sac?

49 is a dividing line for fishable waters after Nov 15. The American tributaries are catch and release after that date, but you seem north of that. Most of the water seems to be an access issue as the winter sets in. For those who desire to fish, can find water, especially in the lakes. If that fails, there is always tying flies and the holidays with family.
tsegelke

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 pm

tsegelke wrote:Local shop is closing? In Nevada City, or closer to Sac?

49 is a dividing line for fishable waters after Nov 15. The American tributaries are catch and release after that date, but you seem north of that. Most of the water seems to be an access issue as the winter sets in. For those who desire to fish, can find water, especially in the lakes. If that fails, there is always tying flies and the holidays with family.

Nevada City shop closed end of last year. New Grass Valley shop just opened.

Tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Is fishing season in California just 7 months ?

Postby mtnmanca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:31 pm

STINKS!!!! Here where I reside 49 south of Amadore county... Tuolumne county the regs are last Saturday in April through the middle of November is stream season. Outside that I am left will lake fishing. Luckily I am about 2 minutes away from the high country lakes like pinecrest, beardsley etc so it will suffice until April... Which works perfectly because that's when my birthday is. Couldn't ask for a better birthday gift
mtnmanca

Previous

Return to Regulations