State of Maine

Some states define fly-fishing as using a "fly-rod, fly-reel and flies". The use of a reel should not be a defining aspect of fly-fishing.
This forum is a place to share information about how certain states define "fly-fishing" for the purpose of "fly-fishing only" waters. And, if you contact a state for clarification, how would they treat tenkara? (e.g. Connecticut defines fly-fishing as using "fly-reel", one of our users, Mr. Hackney, contacted the Connecticut authority for clarification, and they said Tenkara IS fly-fishing, see more in first post).

State of Maine

Postby burndoubt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Here are definitions from our law book.

FLY (ARTIFICIAL FLY): A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread,
tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar
device is added.
FLY FISHING: Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of
the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to
a line may be used. (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing
only).

looks like my new Iwana rod will be welcome.
burndoubt

Re: State of Maine

Postby Owl Jones » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm

I would think so! Even though it doesn't use a traditional(for us) fly line, it is still the line that casts the fly. Do you guys have very many fly-fishing only waters there? We've tried here in GA, but the state will not go that way on any water we have.
Owl Jones

Postby burndoubt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 am

I live in the southern end of the state. there are a few fly only sections of the Presumpscot river (flows out of Sebago Lake) and one on a small brook. Once you get up into the western mountains near Rangeley there is a ton of fly only locations.
burndoubt

Postby Owl Jones » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Ok, thanks. That's pretty cool.
Owl Jones

Return to Regulations