Knothead Trout, The People's Game

Re: Knothead Trout, The People's Game

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Sorry I haven't responded here recently. Been pretty occupied ahead of the Summit and preparing to leave home for a while.

Just received the Knothead Trout! Opened the package about 30 minutes ago and proceeded to tie my flies on the safety pins right away. I like that you left them blank, may as well.

I have to say the trout is way, way cooler in person. I simply love it! Can't wait to use it at the summit.

I hope one of my safety pin flies is tied. That way I can say I gave one from the maker of the game. 8-)

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby jd_smith » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:28 pm

:D I'm really digging your inspiration Jeremy. My little fishy is looking real cool so far.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby adventureR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Daniel, TJ, & Jeff, the eyes are a kick to the Hiney! One of these days I hope to see someone else attempt to make a Knothead. Feel a little like the Elephant Man here on this post sometimes. They are easy until you start trying to make symmetrical features. I feel very happy with the way they look though. Find the finished fish is really the best part of this process. Making something that makes anyone that sees them smile and explore the wooden features also is very rewarding.

Any questions on making your own I'll try to help anyone with!

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 am

I applied the first coat of varnish on #3. Eyes installed, and teeth sharpened. After this weekend #3 should also swim to California.

Listened to this music during the making of #4, the wood looked like a Shalaylee.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Japane ... h%2520Folk
Thought I could go for some Irish Folk. Also thought I'd show a step by step on #4.

Some tools, used for the roughing out beginning.

So far I've used only wood found floating in the water where I fish.
Stared with the Japanese pull saw. The saw can sometimes goes at more of an angle then I want. A branch is much different from a square board from a lumber mill. So went with the axe. The basic shape with plenty of extra wood left for later detail.

Penciled in the begining of shapes, and removed the wood in the way of your outside most form. More to come later...... Wonder what others may imagine and create. I eagerly await creations made by others hands.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Started forming my idea for TJ. Winging it for this one, as it's all new territory. Got to work right after I got up this morning. Starting to really tire from all the carving. My other hand being my vise.
The veiw from my Hammock.

The the arm of the glasses goes around and into the gill as it happens in nature when Sculpin fish wear glasses.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Taking shape, the carving is on it's way to telling me which way to go now. A nice whimsical look to Game #4.

My wife just came home and doesn't see the fish in the carving yet. So anyone that can't see it, bear with me. I'll do some more tomorrow.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:52 pm

It is Mini TJ fish with glasses. Hehehe

Look out Austin Powers!

Tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:31 am

Finished sanding #3, sanded all morning, and put on the last coat of varnish, I hope. #3 will have to dry for a while. It's so humid here it takes a long time for the varnish to cure.

Found a good picture of a Slimy Sculpin I've been looking at.
http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/aro/russian- ... enburg.jpg
And some tools used to remove large bits of wood from #4 (Sculpin). I like to pencil in a lot of parts over and over to make sure I don't accidently cross a line and remove some fin or lip.

I had to saw Sculpin off of the branch. Started to frustrate me working with the awkwardness. Anyone who's made a Tamo knows what I'm talking about.

My carvings are caricatures I suppose, probably come from watching to many Cartoons. I'll put more up on the making of Sculpin as I get further into it. I like that you named your game TJ, made it easier to figure out some of the looks.
-Edit for link to Sculpin.- guess I am not using proper link etiquette-
Jeremy
Last edited by adventureR on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

Got in a little carving on Sculpin before some night fishing Saturday. The carving is slowly taking shape.

Sunday Morning: Thought I finished #3, found more flaws to my finish (Sorry Jeff) being the amature I am. Feel I will never master the woodworking at this point. Have to do more sanding and apply another coat of varnish. Worked on Scuplin more too.

Anyone guess what kind of wood #3 Knothead is? It was floating in the River and thought it looked interesting. Really beautiful wood IMO.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 am

A little more on Sculpin. This time showing the following of the pencil lines. Then my most expensive carving tool, a $30 #8 Gouge.

The Gouge is great for the removal of excess wood where the knives might take a bit of detail off a fin or something by accident. I'm starting to put more small details in as I get closer to the final width of the body and fins. This is the part where I end up getting lost in my own little world carving and enjoying the grain of the wood.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

PreviousNext

Return to General technique