Tiemco Company Fly Tying Hook History Listing by Year

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Tiemco Company Fly Tying Hook History Listing by Year

Postby Karl Klavon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:30 pm

I thought some anglers here might find this historical perspective on Tiemco Hooks to be interesting: https://www.tiemco.co.jp/tmc/en/history.php

What prompted this search is the fact that I have bought both the TMC212Y and TMC212TR Hook packages at different times over the years, but both models appear to be the same identical hook to me. I have sense found out that the "Y" designation stands for Yamame, a fast taking Japanese trout and both have Black-Nickel finishes. But there are other differences listed in the hook descriptions, the 212Y is described as a DRY FLY/EMERGER, 4XS, 5XW, FORGED, BLACK-NICKEL hook, where as the 212TR is described as a 1X FINE, 2.5XS, 2X, FORGED, BLACK NICKEL hook, and both come in the odd sizes of 11s through 17s. I have used them both for my Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern, interchangably but believe every hook I presently have are the 212TRs.
Karl Klavon

Re: Tiemco Company Fly Tying Hook History Listing by Year

Postby Karl Klavon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:07 pm

I believe I have found the difference between the 212Y and the 212TR TMC hooks: The Y is made with thinner wire than 1X Fine. Also, some of both types are listed as Bronze finished instead of the Black-Nickel finish. But why the down eye is listed seems to be a mistake.

And at this price - $8.00 - it is no wonder they are out of stock. The Packs of hooks being sold in the UK come in Packs of 20, so buyer beware.

Information
Reviews (0)

Article number: 212TR
Availability: Out of stock

Here is a picture of the TMC212TR Hooks: https://www.feather-craft.com/tmc-212tr ... erger-hook
Dry fly, down eye, 1X fine, 4X short, 5X wide, forged, bronzed. Specifically designed for very selective trout. These 212TR's have the same shape as the 212Y but with heavier wire for extra security. Pack of 25.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Flies