The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Re: The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Postby Hunt4lyf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Good to hear! I will be watching for it. Can't wait!!!!
Hunt4lyf

Postby Robert Olson » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 am

The Vagabox hosting schedule can be found on page 29.
Last edited by Robert Olson on Mon May 18, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Olson

Postby Hunt4lyf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

The mustached one has now landed in Colorado Springs, we shall see what magic he can do on high country Germans in the next day or two. Stay tuned 8-)
Hunt4lyf

Postby Hunt4lyf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Also, whoever is next in line needs to get me their address so there will be no delay on me sending it out in a couple weeks.
Hunt4lyf

Postby Robert Olson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Archknits, you are next for hosting Vagabox. Please PM your address to Hunt4lyf.

Bob
:D
Last edited by Robert Olson on Mon May 18, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Olson

Postby Hunt4lyf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Got vagabox out today with my family and my daughter caught her first fish with her first cast ever on a black beetle from the vagabox, granted it wasn't on a Tenkara rod but she's still a bit young at 2 1/2 for a 14 ft ITO. Only thing I helped her with was casting, she did the rest. Hopefully tomorrow I can get away early for some small stream Germans.

Untitled by Hunt4lyf, on Flickr
Hunt4lyf

Postby achilles38 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:10 am

That is awesome! There's nothing more fun than watching your kids catch fish. Using flies from the Vagabox, my 5 yr old son caught more fish than me on Obsidian Creek in Yellowstone, and that made it one of the most enjoyable fishing days of the trip for me. It was a blast just to watch him fish and see his excitement.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby achilles38 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:24 am

Here's 2 pics of what Vagabox looked like before I mailed it off a few days ago to Hunt4lyf.

Here's the 4 flies I added. I lost one when I broke off my tippet on a monster rainbow on the Madison River. I put a Salmon fly, green drake, a dry fly that was very successful in Montana, and a midge that caught the biggest trout I've caught so far.

Here's one of the rainbows I caught on the Madison River below Hebgen Lake Dam.

On a bad side note, 2 days ago I caught a brown on the Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam. It was a monster, at least 22". I watched it for a few minutes as it sipped tiny flies in an eddy behind a tree. I caught it with a 18 parachute adams and as I was about to land it my Amago broke in half at the 3rd section from the top. I almost started crying, lol, both for my rod breaking and losing the biggest fish of my life. True to TUSA customer service, my replacement pieces are already on the way. And I never even thought about throwing my rod, haha.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby Hunt4lyf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I got a German today on the dry you put in there Achilles. 8-)

I hit a small stream today that has a good population of Germans with a few brookies and rainbows thrown in to add a little flavor and I actually was able to land all three.

No pic of the brook as he wanted back in the water and didn't give me a chance for a pic but he came from under this ledge, the fish were piled up in there and I pulled out both a brookie and a German from there, after those two they were to spooked to hit anything.

The fly of the day was this monster on what I think was a #6 circle hook, sadly it was sacrificed to the stream god. I think it was one of the Tenkara guide flies as I remember seeing a video where they tied one on a big circle hook, I need to find out because it caught 8 of the 15 trout I landed today.

More to come next weekend :mrgreen:
Hunt4lyf

Postby Robert Olson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:19 am

List of Vagabox hosts is on page 29. Please pay attention to your spot on the list. I need Archknits to contact Hunt4lyf with his mailing address. If not, Serioussam2115 will take your place.

Bob
:D
Last edited by Robert Olson on Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Olson

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Flies