Ah...it's summer time - backpacking and "extreme" tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Ah...it's summer time - backpacking and "extreme" tenkara

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Ah, it's summer time. And, with that sometimes I just can't resist getting the best of isolated fresh-water: good fishing, and a refreshing dip. But, I don't think I have had the chance to mix both....not at exactly the same time that is.

Last weekend Margaret and I went backpacking around the North Fork of the American River. It's a rugged area with canyons and high-cliffs, a wild river. Perfect for tenkara. Usually the flows and currents are very high. But this weekend it was paradise. It was warm, the water was great, fish were biting. We caught enough for a nice dinner despite getting there a bit late.

There are parts where you simply can't go any further due to the high cliffs. This time I decided to go further by swimming. Tenkara rod in hand I ventured to the far side, where the fish were waiting on a series of small plunge pools - I think an extra reel and fly line to manage would have made it harder to swim on
A couple of pools were about 15ft deep, and I could see everything on the bottom, including some fish swimming by. When not swimming the pools meant excellent sight-fishing, with the delicate casting of tenkara a MUST for catching those spooky fish on pools.
Attachments
Swimming.jpg
Nice pools on the other side...15ft deep pool, 15+ft of visibility
Swimming.jpg (187.1 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Fish.jpg
Fish.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
Margaret_NForkAmerican.jpg
Margaret_NForkAmerican.jpg (181.68 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
NFAmerican River_072509 030.jpg
NFAmerican River_072509 030.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
skewers.jpg
Best way to prepare a fish, skewer it, and sea salt on the skin (also, try scaling the fish first....yum)
skewers.jpg (54.59 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Ah...it's summer time - backpacking and "extreme" tenkara

Postby rsetina » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Awesome looking trip! The underwater picture of the fish is my favorite one. You in the water is a very close second. Thanks for the report.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Ah...it's summer time - backpacking and "extreme" tenkara

Postby ConorUK » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:46 am

that's a great photo of you swimming with the rod, very adventurous!
ConorUK

Return to Your Tenkara Experience