Heading for Kings Canyon

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Heading for Kings Canyon

Postby grampa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Tomorrow (Monday) morning, I'm headed for Kings Canyon for a week. My Yamame rod is going as my sole fly rod - I'm expecting to give it a complete workout! This will be my first shot using it (apart from the local park pond). Report and photos (I hope!) in a week! :D
grampa

Re: Heading for Kings Canyon

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Nice. I'm really looking forward to seeing your report. Kings Canyon is an area I still must go, there are many good places there. I was just fishing near Shaver Lake, and I just love that area of the Sierras.

Let us know how it goes.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 pm

I wish I had my Tenkara rod a couple of months ago. We were fishing the Florence Lake area and my Ayu would have been perfect for the water there. Next time. Good luck grampa. Looking forward to your report.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Back from Kings Canyon

Postby grampa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Back from Kings Canyon...

Since this was a big family camping trip, I couldn't devote all my time to fishing, and most of the fishing was me "guiding" the, um, "casual" fishers among us :cry:

But the Yamame rod and Tenkara approach was fantastic! Kings River trout tend to run small; there's been no stocking for years, and all are local natives - brownies predominate, but the park would like to see the rainbows take over. by what we caught, it looked like a 3:1 brown:rainbow population.

Taking a cue from our fearless leader, I mostly fished a elk hair caddis - it was clearly the most productive fly. A royal wulff and parachute adams also did well.

Tenkara definitely produced better than my family & friends spinners and salmon eggs, and the size range was the same - 4-7". It also produced better than the three normal flyfishermen I saw - ever notice when you get more hook-ups than others near you, they start frowning at you? :o

The Kings River is not a small stream - I could usually only fish the nearest 1/3 of the river. But there are stretches of pocket water that are custom made for Tenkara - precise placement, drift free floats: excellent!

I was really delighted with the ease of fly placement, and with drag free floats! Very nice!

All in all, the Tenkara fishing was really fun, and while it produced no monster fish, it was a hoot!

Equipment: probably a 5:5 rod would have been better for the size of fish.

Bad news: I could not figure out how to keep a landed trout alive and well while I got the camera out, etc., so no pics! How do you folks manage it?
grampa

Postby ConorUK » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi grampa,
glad that you got some fishing done during the camping trip, especially on wild brownies. As for getting photos of the fish, its a challenge sometimes, with some fish being more cooperative than others :lol: I take mine on a small mobile phone (expendable, given the risks!) which allows me to take photos with one hand and quickly.
Did those other fishermen ask about the method, or did they prefer frowning only!
Conor
ConorUK

Postby grampa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm afraid they just stuck to frowning! It's not like we were right next to each other - in fact, we were on opposite sides of the river.

My son-in-law just posted a photo he took of me in process of landing a small brownie:

n775904321_2012375_4394657.jpg
Kings River morning
n775904321_2012375_4394657.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
grampa

Return to Your Tenkara Experience