Labor Day Weekend Brings First Fish On The Iwana

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Labor Day Weekend Brings First Fish On The Iwana

Postby Darrin Terry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Labor Day weekend was to be my first time fishing a tenkara rod. Daniel was recently here in Fresno to present to the local fly club and I had the opportunity to cast his Ayu on the pond. I was pretty hyped on the delicate presentations. I had told Daniel that I'd an 11-foot Iwana on order and after the presentation I was really looking forward to fishing it on this trip at this point.

I took three rods with me. A Batson 6'6" 2wt that I built last year, a Lamiglas 7'0" 3wt that I also built last year (my favorite fly rod) and the Iwana. The Iwana almost did not make it though. It was scheduled for delivery just the day before we were to leave, and when I returned home from work, there was a tag on the door indicating that they would attempt delivery the following day. I promptly called UPS and explained the situation and how they were going to have to make the package available for pickup that night. They were, fortunately, setup for this. I was able to pick it up that evening. :D As things worked out, I chose to fish only the Iwana on this trip.

I arrived in camp Wednesday around 12:30 and found the first of my friends had arrived just 15 minutes ahead of me. The next couple hours were spent setting up camp and raising the flag over the camp entrance and another in my camp. The creek running through has both planted trout and wild. Fishing a tenkara rod (an 11-foot Iwana) for the first time, I was targeting the wild fish for the most part. Each evening a midge hatch came off and a size 18 griffiths gnat would bring them in like a dinner bell set to ringing.

That first evening brought my first run in with a dobson fly:

The next day brought this guy to hand on the last cast of the day:

It also found me enjoying a few of these:
Torpedo is good:

Day three was spent on another area creek and while in the past it has held many trout, both wild and planted, it seemed near devoid of fish this time. In fact, my buddy Dan and I found just 5 or 6 fish total and just one to hand each. Mine was a wild brown from a spot that rarely holds anything but plants:
Fishing in the shadows of giants:
The shade in this pic is from another giant. This is about as open as this creek gets in the section I have fished:

There was an old man in one of the trees in camp…I found him watching over my camp directly across from my chair. At eye level when seated no less.

Friends. Mountains. Fish. And a first tenkara experience. :D
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Re: Labor Day Weekend Brings First Fish On The Iwana

Postby goneflyfishing » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Very nice report. I love the huge trees and the old tree man. And yes, Friends, Mountains, Fish and Tenkara is the way to go.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Darrin Terry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Yeah. The trees on that creek are pretty cool. There are several spots where trees 4-6 feet thick have fallen across the creek, one might be closer to 7-8 feet thick. The pic where I am looking up the tree has a large lightning/fire scar which is at least 5 feet wide at the base and still not as wide as the tree.

The tenkara rod was a serious challenge on this water. There were a handful of spots where I was able to cast overhead, even fewer where I could cast sidearm. The bow and arrow cast was the best choice, but even that was limiting there.

The other two creeks in the area that we fished were much better in this regard. Still, I made the decision to fish just the Iwana because of those challenges. It was a nice learning weekend for me with this style of fishing. 8-)
Darrin Terry

Postby rsetina » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey Darrin,

Glad to see you here too. Looks like perfect tenkara water. Glad to read you got into some fish too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Darrin Terry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't know about perfect tenkara water, Rick. I'd like to see someone more experienced in tenkara fishing fish it though. See how they go about it.

Glad to be here. While I've known about tenkara for since spring 2008, fishing this way is definitely fun and has it's own challenges. Looking forward to giving it a go on the LO this winter with the midge and baetid hatches.
Darrin Terry

Postby rsetina » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 am

Darrin,

Glad to have you here too. Let me know if you want some company on the LO. I'd be nice to share some water with you.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Darrin Terry » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am

It would great seeing you and Sherry again, Rick. For the past two winters, we've been doing a trip in January. Camped last year, hotel the year before. Cold but great fishing.
Darrin Terry

Return to Your Tenkara Experience