Elk River, Colorado

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Elk River, Colorado

Postby Anthony » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:40 am

While in Colorado this August I hit the Elk River (trib. to the Yampa) with the Tenkara. I have to admit that I didn't use the trad tenkara flies but opted for a big stimi. They fish were smackin' the stimi pretty good. I also had some fish on a foam grasshopper bigger than a humming-bird, but I lost the fly - so I can't show a pic. I did fish the Stagecoach tailwater of the Yampa - but I left the tenkara behind. I just didn't have the confidence that I could land those monster 'bows. I was tempted but images of a shattered Ebisu danced in my head.

The Elk was just a beautiful Tenkara destination, as you can see in the picture (note non-tenkara fly fisherman in picture). It has beautiful deep pocket water, and on this trip very willing cutthroat, brookies and browns. Just don't forget your wading staff - those slippery round stones and swift current can be difficult to wade at best.
Attachments
elk river cut.JPG
elk river cut.JPG (223.49 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
elk river.JPG
elk river.JPG (242.48 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Return to Your Tenkara Experience