Warm water Tenkara fishing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: Warm water Tenkara fishing

Postby rvrgzr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 pm

wrknapp wrote:...and I don't think I'll have any problem landing bigger fish.
Randy

Randy, if you can land a 2 ft. long lake trout or a 5 lb. bass on your new rod, please have someone video your doing so. I would enjoy viewing and learning.

Thanks,
rwf
rvrgzr

Postby wrknapp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:56 pm

If I land a big one, you guys will get a picture.
Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby donaldstewart@insightbb.com » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 pm

I just purchased an Iwana 11' rod - Daniel has delivered a beautiful product for the dollar spent!

I just had an opportunity to use the new set up last weekend and the this past week. The first was in a large body of water-Cumberland Lake - In Kentucky. This would be considered warm water with the exception of below the dam which has yielded some very large Brown and Rainbow Trout.

I only used the rod up in the lake section which has over 1,000 miles of shoreline and is approximately 55 miles long. Didn't really expect to catch anything, but was pleasantly suprised fishing from the bank to catch 6 Longear Sunfish and 1 Skipjack Herring. The Longears were all in the 3 -4 inch range with the exception of 1 - 6".

Anyone who fishes warm water owes it to themselves to purchase a Rod/Line/Line holder. What fun!! The simplicity made it so enjoyable. This is not Dapping, Cane Pole, Telescopic Crappie Rod. This is, in my book, Fly Fishing in its simplest form. This is about enjoying the fishing, no matter what the size.
donaldstewart@insightbb.com

Postby LMarshall » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 am

donaldstewart@insightbb.com wrote:I just purchased an Iwana 11' rod - Daniel has delivered a beautiful product for the dollar spent!

I just had an opportunity to use the new set up last weekend and the this past week. The first was in a large body of water-Cumberland Lake - In Kentucky. This would be considered warm water with the exception of below the dam which has yielded some very large Brown and Rainbow Trout.

I only used the rod up in the lake section which has over 1,000 miles of shoreline and is approximately 55 miles long. Didn't really expect to catch anything, but was pleasantly suprised fishing from the bank to catch 6 Longear Sunfish and 1 Skipjack Herring. The Longears were all in the 3 -4 inch range with the exception of 1 - 6".

Anyone who fishes warm water owes it to themselves to purchase a Rod/Line/Line holder. What fun!! The simplicity made it so enjoyable. This is not Dapping, Cane Pole, Telescopic Crappie Rod. This is, in my book, Fly Fishing in its simplest form. This is about enjoying the fishing, no matter what the size.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I have the Iwana as well. Tenkara is definitely my favorite way to catch panfish from shore. Sunnies and crappie are a lot of fun with this set up. You never really need to cast far for these little guys! I haven't tried tenkara from a boat yet, but I'd imagine I might miss the extra casting distance a western fly rod affords.
LMarshall

Previous

Return to Your Tenkara Experience