Maroon Bells and Rocky Mountain National Park

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Maroon Bells and Rocky Mountain National Park

Postby Berner9 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Had two weeks off for vacation and did some hiking at Maroon Bells, Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain National Park and did some 14er's. I got a couple of hours of fishing in at Maroon Bells and a good afternoon/evening in at Rocky Mountain National Park.

It was getting dark and I was working the creek back to the car. There where a couple of bends left in the creek so I worked them hard. I got a hit and when it pulled I knew I had a bigger one on the line. It had shot under the side of the bank and the line had gotten tangled in sticks. I managed to stick my hand in there and pull the line out. Once I had done that, the fish swam quickly to the other side of the bank and tangled my line up in a stump again. There was no way I was gonna let this fish go so I waded up to my waste in the cold creek and got the line out of the stump/roots. This put a bunch of slack in the line and the fish took off again and as the line tightened it snapped. The fish was somewhere between 14 and 16". Would of been my biggest tenkara fish. I was bummed, cold and wet. I put my stuff away and hiked to the car to go warm up by a fire.

All I know is that for my next vacation I will be tenkara fishing.
Berner9

Re: Maroon Bells and Rocky Mountain National Park

Postby wrknapp » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Great photos and great report. Thanks!

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Great report! Looks like a perfect Tenkara stream for brook trout and browns. Thanks.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 am

Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

The big one that got away is the one you'll remember, probably for the rest of your life.
CM_Stewart

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:11 am

Very nice report and awesome pictures! Will be heading up to RMNP in two weeks, planning to fish two days to finally catch some of our native Greenback Cutt's.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Anthony » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 am

I hit RMNP this year with the Ebisu (although I did cheat and bring a western style outfit too). Rocky Mountain is just the ideal Tenkara destination. The streams are just perfect. Many of our Pennsylvania small streams have a heavy canopy which can be problematic with that long rod as you know- but those open streams of RMNP are just great for the technique.
cutthroat.JPG
cutthroat.JPG (199.17 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
roaring river.JPG
roaring river.JPG (233.42 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:43 am

Now I have to ask, is the second picture from down below at the alluvial fan/falls just before Roaring River meets Fall River in Horseshoe? I checked out that water when I was there a few weeks ago with wife and kid but didn't think it would hold trout b/c of the heavy traffic (people that is).
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Anthony » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 am

You are correct about the locale. Believe it or not, I fished that section just after a bunch of people were swimming and playing in it (a few thunderclaps sent the swimmers home). It is full of fish! That cutthroat is from just below that footbridge that crosses the river in the alluvial fan area.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Return to Your Tenkara Experience