Tenkara at Hickory Creek - illinois

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara at Hickory Creek - illinois

Postby anatolek » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 pm

This morning finally was able to get out and go fishing at Hickory Creek - prior to tenkara I used to go out with my 5wt and have at it but now everything has changed ...for the better - much better :D

I got out at 7:30am and was on the water a few minutes later. For those not familiar with Hickory Creek it primarily has small mouth bass and rock bass - sorry no trout in Illinois :(

We have been having some big storms come through and the heavy rain really did a number on the creek - washed out a lot of cover. I got to the first pool and there was nothing biggest was maybe 2 inches swimming around. Went to my second favorite pool and saw some fish rising picking off what seemed to be midges or mosquitoes (not sure) had a foam popper and since this has been the fly of choice in the creek in the past I figured I would give it a shot before changing to something more midge-like or mosquito like. The rock bass did not let me even think about switching flies! The beauty of tenkara was that I could get the popper in nice and close to the bank right next to the log they were hiding under without the line slap and since the creek has no more than 20 feet of casting room this used to be tough with a traditional fly rod but now it is a cinch. Spent good part of one hour catching rock bass and panfish out of this one little log - they were stacked in there! Every time the popper landed they would come out and grab it was a blast! All the commotion attracted two nice size (for this creek anyways) smallies in the 9 -10 inch range which I also managed to get on the popper. So ended the morning with the rock creek "Grand Slam" Rock Bass, Panfish (sunfish), Smallmouth bass and of course the Creek Chub.

I cannot wait to get out again and try another creek I found with a friend last year but it got cold before we were able to get out to it. Will keep everyone posted.

Also always interested in meeting other tenkara anglers in Illinois - live in Chicago.
Attachments
P8271244.JPG
Creek Chub
P8271244.JPG (246.35 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
P8271241.JPG
Rock Bass
P8271241.JPG (244.27 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
P8271243.JPG
Smallmouth Bass
P8271243.JPG (190.44 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
anatolek

Re: Tenkara at Hickory Creek - illinois

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Nice fish. I was born in Illinois, Joliet to be exact. Lived in CA since I was 5 years old. Nice to see a report from my "home state".
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Jay K » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Great report - I always love to see an assortment of fish on a single outing; The creek chub was a surprise.
Jay K

Postby anatolek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 am

The creek chubs actually get kind of big in the creek and are always a good surprise! Especially on a Ayu the bigger ones put up a nice fight plus they help "show" if there are any smallies near by that are hungry!
anatolek

Postby wrknapp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 am

I have had the same experiences and pleasures with my Ayu here in Warm Springs, VA. On the same day in the same pool I have landed fallfish, rock bass (redeyes), bluegill, green sunfish, and smallmouth bass and all on the same size 8 Gurgle-pop.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Return to Your Tenkara Experience