Tenkara Gold

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Gold

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:05 pm

On Thursday I came to speak at the Fly Fishers for Conservation Club in Fresno, we had a good turnout and the club's members seemed very interested. So much that one of the members invited me to go fishing the following day, I wasn't sure I could commit, and usually I prefer to take my own time and go alone, but then he mentioned the magic words: "Golden Trout".

I had been hoping to catch Golden Trout on tenkara for a long time, and I figured I can put my work off for later, and go fishing by myself some other time. Fred Ramirez, a guide in the Central Sierra (e.g. Kings Canyon) area, knew a spot with the valuable trout, and so we hit up the Kings Canyon in their pursuit. Gorgeous fish, and the pictures hardly do them justice!

Fred and a nice Golden:

A beautiful golden on the tamo. The tenkara net has become my favorite picture-taking accessory. This was a chubby, and kind of pale fish. The picture does not show it that well, but it had a nice pale gold color on the belly and blue, almost solidly merged, parrmarks"

The golden stream:

After taking pictures, I usually just tip the tamo in the water and the fish will usually swim right out:

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Tenkara Gold

Postby jburge » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Daniel, very nice indeed! Gorgeous water, stunning fish, and beautiful tamo. What more could anyone ask for? Thanks!

John
jburge

Postby OarsnPaddle » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 am

Very, very nice! I really like that stream carved into the rocks! It reminds me of my bouldering days.

Nice tamo too (trying to get to terms with, well, the terms)! What do you have connected to it? I mean, that curly wire, what is that for?
OarsnPaddle

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:07 pm

The curly wire is a leash. Tamos can be trained but not really tamed. They always remain a little wild and will try to escape when they sense that you are distracted. With the leash, when they try to either swim away when you're wading, or grab a passing bush when you're walking they can't get far. They will always try again, though, so you must keep a leash on them at all times.

Seriously, much too much work goes into making one to take a chance on losing it.
CM_Stewart

Postby OarsnPaddle » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Ah, like that. I figured it was some sort of leash, but I thought that it might be a leash to hold something to the Tamo, such as a nipper or something.

I really like those nets. I so want to make one, but after reading what you guys had to do, perhaps I'll wait and see if I can buy one from somewhere someday.
OarsnPaddle

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Beautiful Daniel as always. We're heading to the King's Canyon area on Thursday. I've already picked out a few spots to fish near our campsite. How was the water on the main river?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Darrin Terry » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Nice, Daniel!

Thanks again for the presentation at the FFFC. Glad to see you got into some Goldens with Fred. He's a great guy and is full of tips on the local area.

BTW, I received my Iwana Tuesday night before leaving on a 5 day camping/fishing trip in the southern Sierras. Spent four days fishing it for little wild trout and had a blast. Bow and arrow casts were sweet with it into some very tight spots. :D

Darrin
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Return to Your Tenkara Experience