Tenkara for small fish only?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara for small fish only?

Postby Gona-mies » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

People say Tenkara is for small fish only (max. 2 pounds). True or false? If false, why would they say so? What would you respond?
Gona-mies

Re: Tenkara for small fish only?

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:02 pm

As you may see on this forum there are plenty (maybe too many :) , examples of large fish being caught with tenkara, bull trout, bass, carp, even bonefish. The rods and the system will handle a large fish, but tenkara is just not designed for targeting large fish.

Tenkara, in its pure form, is ideal for catching the "standard" <15" trout, and that's what it's most appropriate for. Of course the rods will hold up the occasional large trout too (http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=694&hilit=+large+rainbow) without a problem.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:07 pm

False. Show them the pictures.

Wupperfischer

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 pm

The question is not how large a fish can you catch, but how small a fish still excites you.

CM_Stewart

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 pm

I like that Chris! I guess it depends on how far you're willing to run down a rocky river to land a large fish. If he runs, you better be prepared to run too. ;) :lol: I could see me running down a river for about 3 seconds before I go in. :o

Some big fish have been caught and there are quite a few examples here. But what's the use in targeting fish you might not be able to land? I think Daniel is right when he says <15 inches is optimal for a Tenkara rod. But pushing the envelope is sometimes an unexpected treat, should it happen.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby daryl martens » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

small fish are definitely fun on these rods
Attachments
IMG00030-20100824-1901.jpg
fraser river shiner
IMG00030-20100824-1901.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
daryl martens

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 am

Oh, Daniel...I do apologize for sending in my misguided reports of fish 'larger' than Tenkara was meant for. :oops: I will now stalk the trout streams and bass/bluegill ponds, wearing a mask and pasting over my 'Tenkara: Yamame' or 'Tenkara: Amago' with a Wal-mart label. But, hey, guy, after two broken tip sections, I have learned to keep my tippet to 5x. I mean, some of us have a slower learning curve than others. ;)
rvrgzr

Postby blatt1970 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:34 am

:D
Tenkara can take big fishes as well as traditional fly gear.
But tenkara is better suited for smallies and its tight environmet!
Instead of big or small, for me the word that descbribes tenkara best is "close":
Short, tight, acurate casts, quiet aproach, subtle takes...This is all about tenkara!

blatt1970

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:05 am

[quote="blatt1970"]:D

But tenkara is better suited for smallies and...subtle takes...This is all about tenkara!

Yeah. I just hate it when a smallie, largemouth, or hungry brown knocks the living **** outta my fly, but I'm learning to cope with my 'rage'.... :roll:
rvrgzr

Postby wrknapp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Got this beauty on my Ayu in a small Virginia Beach, VA pond while visiting my parents. The fly was my own leadeyed size 10 bluegill and bass fly. It took a lot of casts to drop it right in front of a feeding carp without spooking it. I was using 6lb 2X Maxima tippet and I was careful to keep the fish swimming in circles and never high-sticked it pulling the fish up onto the bank with my hands.

Randy
Attachments
Carp1.JPG
Carp1.JPG (157.45 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience