let the fish fight a little or yank it out

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

let the fish fight a little or yank it out

Postby eagles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:35 pm

I have a question , not being new at all to fly fishing at all but being brand new to Tenkara . After watching some of the video from youtube it seems as soon as the fish are hooked the main idea is to pull them straight out of the water to the fisherman. In my normal fly fishing the fun is in the fight , feeling the fish run to you ,away from you etc . Now I realize with a fixed line the fisn can not run (unles you do ) BUT is the fish ever allowed to fight a bit before it is just yanked out ? I can see yanking it straight out if food was the main goal, but to enjoy the experiance, I do like to feel that fish on the line a little bit ? I have pulled fish straight out of small streams when setting the hook , thinking I was hooking into a larger fish and at once I was looking at this little fish at my feet . I did not find that much fun in that quick removal of the fish . How does everyone else do it ?
eagles

Re: let the fish fight a little or yank it out

Postby wrknapp » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I've always gotten the fish in and then released as soon as possible. Big fish take awhile; little fish come right away. To purposely play a fish longer than necessary usually adds enough lactic acid into its muscles that it will more easily die even if you spend a good while reviving it. This especially true of trout. Some other game fish like bluegill and largemouth bass are less sensitive.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby eagles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks for your input . Ive been doing catch and release trout fishing for decades . I can remember one fish that died in the last five years . I play them all , not to exhaustion but I don't haul them out in one pull either . I take time to hold them in the water and move them back and fourth to get the water going through the gills and let them swim off when they can . Its the fight they give me that is THE thrill so I am trying to segway the thrill here . I think I can let them have a little fight first but am interested in what others are doing
eagles

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

For the vast majority of time the fish need to fight and you need to play them for a few seconds, just enough to get some adrenaline going and the fish a bit tired. Hardly ever is it necessary/desired to yank a fish out, and hardly ever is it necessary to play them for a long time. I have been fishing hard for the last 6 days, and caught tons of fish (more on this later), the vast majority of fish were between 7 and 10", and a few about 12" and all of these needed to fight enough to get the adrenaline going, and the only fish I pulled right out were the smallest ones (4-6").

I think the main difference and advantage of tenkara is that you don't ever need to play the average fish to exhaustion. I have seen countless times of people letting a 12" fish take line off the reel, and I have always felt like that was unnecessary and hard on the fish, but of course, I like the feeling of a fish pulling the rod, though I prefer to feel it several times instead of just for a long time.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby eagles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks , I agree as long as you get some feeling you actualy have a fish on the line for a little while and are not just pulling weights out of the water in one big jerk . Somtimes when setting the hook that still occurs by accident with a really small fish , even with conventional gear.I saw some youtuber footage from Japan that showed a guy yanking the fish out as fast as they were on so I wondered . I hooked a 21 inch Bo a few months ago on my five and half foot ultralight fly rod ,and like the Tenkara I was worried he would break the very small tip(bamboo) so it was in a small stream and I ran up the stream with him as fast as I could , guiding him arround rocks etc and then used the leader to pull him up to the net as I laid on my belly by the stream .
I think I could have landed him with a Tenkara had I done the same thing . Before that I was catching 10 inch browns so he was a suprise . I am looking forward to Tenkara fishing in the small streams .
eagles

Postby goneflyfishing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 am

eagles wrote: I take time to hold them in the water and move them back and fourth to get the water going through the gills and let them swim off when they can .

I believe there is a study that if you revive your trout like that they will likely go belly-up. The proper way to revive is to hold them still in the current and have the current supply the oxygen to the trout.

The "backward" move of the trout in water, especially in slow or still water will lead to the gills collapsing and stick together and effectively drown the trout. Trout gills are not designed for water to flow from the back into the gill plate and this will cause more harm than not reviving the trout at all.

Tight lines y'all.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby eagles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Hate to tell you this but that is pure crap . I am 59 years old ,been fly fishing since I was 12 and have sent many hundreds on their way like this . This year alone about 45 trout . ALL recovered like this in my hands and left strong . By they way this year about 25 in still water . Was shown this when I was a kid by another trout fisherman who did it all his life with the same positive resluts for the fish . At times fish have escaped my intitial hold and gone belly up and A had to renet them and perfom this at which time they got stronger , clearly from the procedure . it must be slow and gentle . Of course these trout were probably illeterate and never read those studies so they had no idea it should have glued their gills together and killed them . :D Sometime real life experiance is worth more than a pile of statisitcs .
eagles

Postby Hoshnasi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 pm

When landing a fish I keep my movements slow but constant to keep tension on the line. This way there is a fight, no jerking motions and I believe causes less stress to the fish as well.
Hoshnasi

Postby eagles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you and that sounds like good sound advice
eagles

Postby rsetina » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I posted this once in another forum and one member never spoke to me again. I hope this doesn't happen here.

"Once a fish reaches "acidosis", or a point where the lactic acid buildup is non reversible, it is only a matter of time before they die. Many anglers release fish thinking that they will survive when, in fact, the fish will die a few days later due to issues created during the fight and release."

The whole article

One reason I like the Tenkara method of fly fishing is that you have to land the fish fairly quickly or loose the fish if it's a large trout. I can understand the thrill of the fight. I fought a leopard shark for 30 minutes a couple of months ago and to feel the pull and to listen to the sound of the reel is really something. If you haven't had an experience like that you're missing out on incredible fun, and pain. :lol: Trout can't live through a fight like that.

The thrill for me is being able to place a fly in what would be a difficult place for a fly, leader, and fly line, and hold it there for 15 seconds because you know there's a fish holding between those two rocks in the middle of the stream and bam, a 16 inch brown hits the fly and you loose it because the fish got into faster water and you just couldn't keep him on with 5X tippet when he shook his head. You feel the fight coming on and then the disappointment sets in for a instant, but you laugh out loud, knowing you caught a fish in a spot you knew there should be a fish and you were right. That's the thrill for me. I have chills right now typing this, it happened to me two and a half weeks ago. For me it's not the fight, it the hunt.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience