My first couple of outings

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

My first couple of outings

Postby 257ROBT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:47 pm

So far I have had 3 outings with my 12' Iwana.

My first trip was not so hot. I had about 1 hour or so to fish. I was trying to fish streamers, which worked ok, but not great. I managed to raise a couple of fish and managed to lose my leader and tippet because of a bad knot on my part.

The next day I fished one of the top 3 trout streams in WI. I managed 12 browns using a #14 San Juan worm tied Gary Borger style. I fished it below a 1/2" thing-a-ma-bobber and a tiny shot. The water was high and stained. The rod allowed be to stay behind tall weeds and having no reel was a big help. No line hanging and getting stuck in the weeds. I was very happy with this outing and I realized that Tenkara does have a place in my tactics.

My third outing was a still-water trip for some bluegills. I only had about 2 hours to fish. I fished a small subdivision pond by my house. In Tenkara style, I tied some sakasa kebari in various colors. I started with a black thread/brown hackle and managed a few. I switched to a chartruese thread/partridge hackle then and tore up the fish. I fished this fly the rest of the time. By the time I was done, I noticed that I was more concerned about the action of the fly versus constantly changing to find the "right" one. I loved this simplicity! The pond I was one has trees right up to the waters edge. Getting caught in trees wasn't a problem. The best part is I managed to outfish a guy across the pond and he was getting mad everytime I brought a fish in.

I really like this Tenkara rod I have. Simplicity! I love the length, which feels very natural to me. I also remembered how much fun it was to catch fish on a "pole" style rod. Kinda reminds me of being a kid. The flies are simple, and so far, effective. I am very happy I stumbled onto this Tenkara web-site!!! Now, time to get another rod.

Dale
257ROBT

Re: My first couple of outings

Postby dpenrod » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 pm

what line are you using? i just got my 12' iwana today and lawn cast it with the 10'6" furled line. had trouble feeling the rod load and getting the line to lay out straight. otherwise very cool set up and can't wait to actually fish it.
dpenrod

Return to Your Tenkara Experience