First impressions of the Yamame

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First impressions of the Yamame

Postby gregtung » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:43 pm

I have had a chance to take my recently purchased Yamame out on a few trips and thought I would share my experience so far. I used to bait fish a lot and did some fly fishing for pan fish but haven't done much fishing for the past 15 years until I picked up a fly rod again just a couple of months ago. First trip was out on gunpowder falls in central Maryland where I spent a couple hours fishing wet flies and streamers. Had 5 or 6 strikes that I know of but was rusty and only hooked two fish but they were both good looking wild brown trout. This past weekend my wife and I took our one year old son camping in Potomac state forest in western Maryland to escape the heat in Baltimore. This is the type of trip that I got the Yamame for. The focus of the trip was camping and hiking but the Yamame was light enough to carry with us. Only spent a total of 10 minutes fishing on the two day trip but landed an 11 inch rainbow and a really nice looking 7 inch brookie. Spotted the fish, lined up, tied on, and got both of them on the first cast. The simplicity and packability of the Yamame was great. I can see how the casting distance could be a limitation but there are also many advantages. I found that I was able to cast very accurately and that the presentation is very delicate. I am also able to control whether a wet fly sits on or below the surface. It has been a lot of fun so far.

Greg
Attachments
trout2.jpg
trout2.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
IMG_6022.jpg
IMG_6022.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
IMG_5953.jpg
IMG_5953.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
gregtung

Re: First impressions of the Yamame

Postby rsetina » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey Greg! Welcome and what a great first post! The Yamame is a nice rod. I see that the first fish is a brown, but looking at the tail of the second fish makes me think it's a brook trout. Was it a brook trout or another brown? It has a greenish tint to it like the brook trout in the Eastern Sierras here in California.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: First impressions of the Yamame

Postby gregtung » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Good eye Rick. The second fish is a brook trout (at least I think so).

G
gregtung

Return to Your Tenkara Experience