Eastern Sierra Weekend

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Eastern Sierra Weekend

Postby rsetina » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I had an opportunity to fish the Owens River and Hot Creek with my friend Eric and his brother, nephew, and a friend of his brother. We had a good time even though the fishing was tough.

Eric's brother Rick was very interested in the Tenkara rods and even pulled out his laptop and took a look at the website checking out prices and equipment. Time will tell if he decides whether or not to take the next step. Rick brought a co-worker, Bart and he brought his Ebisu, so I had a fellow Tenkara fisherman to keep me company. I found out how small of a world it is when Bart told me that he bought his rod through a friend who made parts for Daniel.

We fished two mornings on Hot Creek and the first day didn't yield any fish for any us even though fish were staged all over the creek and there were several hatches coming off. We rarely saw a fish take a fly from the surface. Hot Creek is a very tough creek to fish due to a very weedy bottom so nymphing is quite technical since you have to drift your fly between the grass through, I guess you'd call them, troughs. The tenkara rod did a great job keeping me out of the grass when I was using a nymph.

Day 2, two fish:

The first fish was a brown that broke me off in the current but I got a very good look at the 14 or 15 inch beauty. He was holding between two large rocks in a slow current that ran cross-ways to the creeks regular flow and I was able to hold the fly between them a good 15 seconds. I was fishing a stimulator and he hit it hard. After several seconds he broke me off, ahhh!, but what a rush to hook a good fish after a day and a half of hooking only one fish on the Owens. That for me was the highlight of the trip even though I lost the him. Just being able to say to myself, "there's a fish holding between those rock" and hooking him was exciting. A couple of guys just down river from me got a kick out of my reaction.

Here a shot of the creek and the rainbow I caught just up a little way up the creek from where I caught the brown. He too was holding just below a submerged rock and after a few casts I was able to hook him and take a photo. He too was a good 15 inches.

On the way back to the car we passed a guide Eric knew and I capture a photo of a dragonfly on the tip of the guides fly rod. A really beautiful orange one.

A weekend of tough fishing but worth every minute. Fishing with friends and sitting around a campfire is a great way to spend a couple of days.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Eastern Sierra Weekend

Postby Andrew McKenna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 am

Great photos, Rick, and once again I am reminded that fishing takes us to the most beautiful places. Thanks for posting.

Andrew
Andrew McKenna

Postby grampa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Beautiful, Rick! thanks for sharing with us!
grampa

Postby rsetina » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:34 pm

We'll be heading up again on the 7th. I'll share more then. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience