"Summer time, and the..." fishing is early

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

"Summer time, and the..." fishing is early

Postby rvrgzr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 am

Those of you who live in Reykjavic, don't need to read this, but for the rest of the forum: When the temp gets up to 101, as it did here (Monroe, NC) yesterday, day and evening fishing can be a bit of a waste, not to mention the stress on the fish. I've found from dawn to a couple of hours after, allows El Pescador to fish in water that's as cool as it's going to get. I watched the expected rather lethargic pellet-feeding response (they're down to feeding once every-other day) of the bass and 'gills. I was surprised, however, that there was some interest in Ol' Faithful, the elk-hair caddis.

Of course if you happen to be loved by the gods enough to have a rain shower in your area, go hit the ponds, because a rain will cool the surface of the pond quickly and the fish respond accordingly.

rvrgzr

Re: "Summer time, and the..." fishing is early

Postby wrknapp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 am

For me the last hour of light and first half hour of dark have been good. In the light I use a size 12 olive damsel nymph and in dark a size 8 foam spider. I'm not an early riser.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:07 am

rvrgzr wrote:I was surprised, however, that there was some interest in Ol' Faithful, the elk-hair caddis.

Have you ever tried a sakasa kebari on those 'gills?
CM_Stewart

Postby rvrgzr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 am

CM_Stewart wrote:
rvrgzr wrote:I was surprised, however, that there was some interest in Ol' Faithful, the elk-hair caddis.

Have you ever tried a sakasa kebari on those 'gills?
>

I think I drank too many of those one night in a bar in Fukuoka.... :o

No, but I believe I ordered some in brown, recently.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience