First Ebisu outing - smallies, blugills and grass carp

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Ebisu outing - smallies, blugills and grass carp

Postby Andrew McKenna » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:38 am

So I received my Ebisu on thursday and patiently waited until this morning before i took it to the water.

All I can say is THANK YOU DANIEL.

Given the central Pa heatwave, I decided to stick to warmwater rather than a trout stream, and I didn't want to be out late because of that heat, so I headed to the swatara creek at Middletown and waded down to the faster riffles, to fish the eddies and pockets that line the left bank above highway 283.

What a morning. I was on the water at 6, done before 8 and home to post a report as promised.

i don't do fish counts and I don't hold with one fishing style being better than another...it's all fishing. But, I had more strike, takes and fun this morning on my regular creek than I have ever had. Put it down to the stars aligning, the magic of the green caddis, or the very specific differences than make tenkara its own fishing styel, but i caught more fish, more species and cleaner strikes than I ever get...all in a restricted time window, because it's unbearably hot.

Green Caddis.JPG
Here's the green caddis that works for me
Green Caddis.JPG (21.38 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
Last edited by Andrew McKenna on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McKenna

Re: First Ebisu outing - smallies, blugills and grass carp

Postby wrknapp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:03 am

Great report and fly. The bug looks like a fish catcher. You are probably already addicted to your new rod. You will subconciously find excuses to fish it. I fish all ways for all fish but am constantly finding ways to use my tenkara rods in as many ways and situations as possible.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby troutrageous1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Glad you are enjoying your tenkara rod. I've fished (non-tenkara) the Swatara (& feeder stream Trout Run) up towards Jonestown. Not sure how different it is in the southern reaches, but can just imagine the fun you had chasing those smallies. Any luck with the fallfish? Trash fish to some, those guys put up a great fight too.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby Andrew McKenna » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:46 am

No fall fish in my home stretch, but I know there are a lot to be had back close to Hummelstown. My friend catches quite a lot on helgramite patterns, but I tend to fish either top water or upper level...no deep streamers.

The smallies i targetted are basically juveniles - 6" or so - and occupy a swirling pool located inside a set of fast, deep riffles. the Ebisu allowed me to fish over the riffles, allowing safer standing and better control of the fly on the surface.

The grass carp is a new species on the Swattie for me. i caught my first one in this spot about a month ago and had to consult some local friends to confirm what it was. Since then, yesterday's was the second catch.

As I said, great fun was had.
Andrew McKenna

Postby Andrew McKenna » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 am

So, several weeks into the Tenkara experience and here's a quick review:

The Ebisu was definitely a great choice for me. It is the bright opposite of my 6wt. I have, as Randy inferred, taken every opportunity to fish. I've clocked at least four trips a week and have literally fished morning, noon and night and have not had one skunk trip yet. I have found one spot where the ambidextrous nature of the rod allows for casting both right and left, giving me a fishing arc of roughly 50 feet. So, standing still, light line casting a dry-wet fly (dry until a fish takes it, then wet after that!), I have taken fish from two different sections of a stream within seconds of each other. I have stuck with the #16 flies and am working on improving my half soft hackle/half griffith gnat fly that has become a staple.

More than anything, the presentation abilities of the Tenkara system have far exceeded my expectations and have helped to improve my fishing beyond a point I presumed I might reach. The ability to cast both left handed and right handed has opened a window to un-learning the standard fly cast (right-handed for me) and allowed for something I would have doubted possible - first cast, fish on.

In summary, it is apparently possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

Andrew
Andrew McKenna

Re: First Ebisu outing - smallies, bluegills and grass carp

Postby wrknapp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 am

First, apologies to Daniel for what I am about to say because this is not the normal pure tenkara post that is in keeping with the spirit of this site. By nature I tend to be a contrarian. Last night I continued a recent trend of mine to fish sections of my home stream, the Jackson River around Warm Springs, Virginia. Before last night I had mostly used my Tenkara USA rods (Ayu and 11' Iwana) with various sakasa kebari flies and lighter tippets. I had used other stiffer poles with weighted flies and poppers for the many bass, bluegills, red-eyes, and fallfish in the river when it is warm (over 75 deg. in the sections nearest my home). Last night I took my Ayu rigged up with a heavier line and 8lb 3X fluorocarbon tippet and a few lead-eyed size 8 and 10 marabou, hackle, rubber-legged buggers and size 8 gurgle pops. I decided to skip the shallow water and faster runs I normally fish tenkara style and concentrate on the deeper pools. I probably landed at least 2 dozen fish from 5 or six inch bluegill up to 14 inch fallfish with several 8 to 10in smallies included. For a while during a hatch of something (it was near twilight and I couldn't really tell) I was hooking something on every cast of my yellow foam, yellow rubber legged size 8 gurgle pop. I, too, could stand in one spot in upper thigh deep water and cast 360 degrees to deeper water, rock ledges, and grassy areas. Sometimes using my non-dominant hand (left) when more suited and when my right arm got tired of fighting fish. I had a blast. As I gain more confidence with my fish fighting and fish landing ability with my Tenkara USA rods, I find that I am able to land fish without over stressing the rod and instinctively resist the temptation to high stick the rod, jerk it up on snags, pull it down hard when accidentally tangling it or the line or the fly in overhead tree branches, etc. In short, I am learning that non-traditional tenkara fishing can be just as productive and fun as pure mountain stream tenkara. I may even (did I really say this?) use bait and try for some late night catfish.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rvrgzr » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:32 pm

wrknapp wrote: I fish all ways for all fish. ..

Randy

Uh, well, okay, Randy...but, personally, I've given up "fishing" with dynamite and curare. :roll:
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience