Season Opener

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Season Opener

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:40 pm

My father in-law tipped me off about a "2nd Saturday in July" season opener with promises of really big cutthroats, so I decided to go on a trip to see if his suggestion was worth while.

I did a bit of reconnaissance Friday, and it sure did look beautiful. Lots of pretty water with cuts lazily rising everywhere.

But, it wasn't Saturday yet and I had to go elsewhere. The elsewhere was just over the pass.

Several healthy, wild browns were brought to hand. Stocked fish usually have their adipose fin trimmed - you can see this one has the useless fin to prove it was born in the stream.

I introduced myself to a brown from this hole:

A few of the fish were a bit surprised to find something of Japanese origin in their mouth (thanks gentleshepard)

After a nice day of fishing I happened upon a crusty old-timer who had been fishing those waters for longer than I've been alive. He asked me how I was doing, and when I replied, "I've landed a few." he quickly wanted to know what I had tied on. I showed him my Ishigaki Kebari type fly I had on and he said, "Well ****, it ain't nothing but some thread and some G.D. ginger hackle!" Never mind that he didn't say anything about the 13'6" rod with no reel I had in my hand. I kept fishing a bit more, then decided I ought to find a place to camp when I met up with the old fellow again.
I could tell the old guy wanted someone to talk to 'cause he talked my ear off for a half hour or so. This time I was happy to show him my Amago and share the benefits of using such a long rod. He showed me a fly someone had taught him to tie some time ago - it's pretty simple, just deer hair and yarn. I didn't remember to try it, but I'm looking forward to the chance to trick a fish.

Afterwards, I drove to my camping spot near the creek that was opening at 6 am for the 2nd Saturday in July. I set up the tent in preparation for the mid-night rain and slept well to the pitter-patter of rain on the tent fly. As morning came I rose to a beautiful sunrise and hopes for many hungry trout.

But, to my dismay there were already people out fishing! I skipped breakfast and went running at 6:19 am. Along the way I startled a robin from its nest. I left the three eggs to grow up to become big worm eating birds. There are enough worm chuckers out there...let the birds eat them, not the fish.

A brisk 30 minute hike led me to this fine stretch where I managed to pull out 20 fish in two hours from water similar.

Some of the cutts were very pretty

And they too wanted to learn Japanese:

While I had thought I hiked far enough in to get away from everyone else I ended up in huge crowds of people - a spin rod in every hole with worms getting drowned everywhere.
I had enough and went somewhere else.

My next stream was little - small enough to jump over in most places.

But it held a few surprises...like this tiger trout - my first ever.

All in all I'm fairly happy with the tip I received from my father in-law. I'm always happy to catch fish and even though the river was crowded I still caught more fish than I did fishermen.
erik.ostrander

Re: Season Opener

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I forgot to post this pic of a trout I caught. Initially I thought it was bleeding from its gills, but the markings are permanent.

Any thoughts - are these just juvenile markings? I've never seen anything like it before. I assume it's a cut, but I didn't see any throat slashings.

erik.ostrander

Postby wrknapp » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:59 am

I don't know what the fish is but the old man's fly is Orley Tuttle's "Devil Bug" created in the '20s for Brook Trout. It is similar to a Cooper Bug. Thanks for the beautiful photos of a fantastic outing.
Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby bennett » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:10 am

Looks like a great opener for some tributary fishing... I have the Amago as well.
Those are great pictures.
My plans were to hit the Duschesne area last week but never got there.. maybe this week

if you ever want to try that area... shoot me an email.. I live near the
mouth of provo canyon...nice to see another 13'6" in the area.

bergbennett@gmail.com
bennett

Postby rsetina » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 am

What a great report on some fine looking places to fish. Thanks for the fantastic photos of the water in the area you fish. I love the comments of the old guy you talked to. Very funny.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby maddyw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I have never seen a cutthroat trout in person, but the fish in the last photo doesn't look like a trout. It has large scales, no adipose, and its mouth doesn't look trouty. It looks just like the creek chubs we have in Ohio(only more colorful), so I would assume its a chub.

Great pictures! Those cutthroats are beautiful... do you know what kind they were?
maddyw

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm

maddyw,

Now that you mention it, it looks quite a bit like a Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus).
CM_Stewart

Postby rsetina » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:15 pm

I didn't notice that it wasn't a trout either. I guess reading about cuts made me look less closely.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Beautiful fish, and pictures. Thanks for the photo essay. Enjoyed it very much.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby erik.ostrander » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:16 pm

maddyw wrote:Great pictures! Those cutthroats are beautiful... do you know what kind they were?

I believe these were Yellowstone cutts. They look a bit different than the Bonneville cutts I usually find.

I'll post up the pic of the unknown fish on a local forum and see what they call it.

Local forum concurs it is a Redside Shiner
erik.ostrander

Return to Your Tenkara Experience